.44 New Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
bojoh

.44 New Army

Post by bojoh »

I´m interested to buy a Remington New Army, and a good,very good or exellent would be my choice.

Some advice on how to determine the difference in grade, and also a realistic price to pay for them would be highly appreciated.

Thank You,

Best Regards,
Bo
admin
Site Admin

Re: .44 New Army

Post by admin »

I typically start here with Grade....

NEW - unused, same condition as factory production, 100%

UNISSUED / LIKE NEW - unused, but may not have box or factory accessories. May have been sold at retail before, but never used. Unissued surplus guns are unused, but are still often several decades old, and thus may sometimes show small handling marks. 99-100%

USED BUT IN LIKE NEW CONDITION - may have been used slightly, but shows no wear, perfect condition. Modern guns = 99-100%

EXCELLENT - may show slight use, no easily apparent marrs or defects, minimal bluing wear, mainly slight at edges and muzzle, little to no scratches. Shiny bore. Modern guns = 90-99%, Old guns = 80-99%

VERY GOOD PLUS - shows slight wear, only minor defects or dings / scratches. Nice looking bluing but worn at edges and muzzle.
Modern guns = 85-90%, Old guns = 70-80%

VERY GOOD - Everything works, some wear on finish and working surfaces, no corrosion, but maybe some light freckling. Could have minor dents and scratches. Bore may not be shiny but should not be dark.
Modern guns = 70-85%, Old guns = 60-70%

GOOD - Working condition, but finish may be quite worn from sustained use or carry. Wear on working surfaces. Could have some pitting or light corrosion / freckling, and dings or scratches, but they should not interfere with function. May have dark, worn bore. This is the usual condition that surplus guns are graded.
Modern guns = 50-70%, Old guns = 30-60%

FAIR - Still considered working usually, though minor adjustment may be needed Well-worn finish, perhaps no finish left. May have corrosion or pitting that does not render gun unusable. Bore may be shot smooth and be dark. Wood may have cracks but is usually still usable.
Modern guns = 20-50%, Old guns = 1-30%

POOR - Adjustment or replacements of parts need, may not be functioning. Worn out or rusty, sold for parts or for repair only, no returns

"GUNSMITH SPECIAL" - These guns are broken or missing parts, and need to be repaired and checked by a gunsmith before using, however they are not necessarily in worn condition, and though not-functioning, they may sometimes be in very nice condition. Typically no returns when sold.
bojoh

Post by bojoh »

Excellent answer, Thank You Very Much.

VERY GOOD, VERY GOOD+, and EXCELLENT, depending on my budget will be my choice.

However complete priceguide of mentioned grades ( gunsmith grade as well ) of great interest.

Price like this is well above budget.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/REMING ... =100339428

Bo
gmaque

Post by gmaque »

We all want the most gun we can get for the money we can afford to spend. Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a super gun at a bargain price. In order to obtain a gun that fits this criteria will require lots of study, shopping, gun show attendence and luck. I suggest that you decide how much money you can comfortably spend and then shop for guns that fit within your budget. Buy the best you can afford and then work your way up. The gun in the link you referenced is a beautiful New Model Army and seems to me to be within the current value range for guns in that condition.
bojoh

Post by bojoh »

Thank you for answer.
Maybee I should contact the seller with further questions of his gun.

However, some advice concerning actual price for different grades highly appreciated.
bojoh

Post by bojoh »

My question about values seems to be answered at the " Ask a Gun appraiser Link, at top right on this page :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »