thanks
Jim
Attachments
IMG_0627 e.jpg
IMG_0627 e.jpg (193.69 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
ChuckD

Re: Remington 51 380 Holster

Post by ChuckD »

I think you will find the M-51 will fit any holster made for the Walther PPK.
It would be best to try before you buy.
captoso

Post by captoso »

thanks, thats a great place to start anyway.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I use an Uncle Mikes "pancake" holster for my 51. It works great. I can ware it left or right handed or in the small of my back because the "straps" are Velcroed to the sides and I can switch it for either side usage and the straps adjusts up or down to fit almost any pistol. I've used it with my 51 and my 1911. It's equally good for both.
HTH
captoso

Post by captoso »

Dave wrote:I use an Uncle Mikes "pancake" holster for my 51. It works great. I can ware it left or right handed or in the small of my back because the "straps" are Velcroed to the sides and I can switch it for either side usage and the straps adjusts up or down to fit almost any pistol. I've used it with my 51 and my 1911. It's equally good for both.
HTH

Thanks,
Uncle Mike's looks like it would be a good fit, will try one soon. I guess we think alike, I've always said that there was only one pistol ever made....Colt 1911. But recently, I've thought that carrying that beast is a such a chore that I sometimes just left it at home. The R51 just is such a great little lightweight gun its becoming my favorite carry.
This weapon is the best natural pointer I've ever seen.
I did find a Galco IWB, not entirely happy with the exposed barrel but it seems to hold the weapon pretty well, will give it a try and report back.
The pistol has been dismantled in the pics, will be getting some kind of coating, cerakote/blued or ?
Attachments
R51 Galco IWB 2.JPG
R51 Galco IWB 2.JPG (53.19 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
R51 Galco IWB.jpg
R51 Galco IWB.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 6437 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

I've seen a lot of 51's that have been reblued over the years and I have to say that most of them don't have the beautiful finish that the original finish was. The ones I've seen that were cold blued looked downright bad. I love these old pistols (I have 2 380's and a 32) and I would bring it to a very competent gunsmith with good bluing tanks. Have him give it a high polish (have him be careful polishing it, most I have seen polished had the stampings and the edges washed out because of incompetent polishing on a buffing wheel) and a tank blue. I have no experience with cerakote but I think it would completely change the character of your fine old 51. JMHO.
Like you, I think the 1911’s are the finest handgun ever built but after carrying them for a few decades I have to agree that the all steel version is not my optimum carry gun anymore. Lighter is better (I still carry a 1911 but it is a Caspian alloy frame 9mm which is quite a bit lighter). I don't often carry my 51 though, for a couple of reasons. One is if you break a 51 you will find it hard to find parts and even harder to find a gunsmith that will even work on them. I've had a couple of gunsmiths, over the years, tell me Remington never made a handgun that wasn't a black powder gun or an XP100. Most gunsmiths are completely unfamiliar with the 51. The other reason is the 51's are finicky about what ammo you use. They seem to like FMJ ammo best and dislike hollow points. With a 380 FMJ's are not optimum for personal defense and even worse if you have a 32 version. So if you are going to carry it you might want to try many different kinds of ammo to see which one your 51 likes best as to functioning correctly. I would recommend a brand of ammo, but my two 380's like different ammo.
Good luck with your 51. They are great little pistols. As you say, they are the greatest natural pointers ever made.
HTH
Steven Swope

Post by Steven Swope »

The guy at Unblinking eye.. Ed Buffalo, makes one IWB, for about $ 105.00 lined, looks pretty good.

Has them for sale, doesn't keep them in stock, would be a freshly made one

Halfway down on far right ..http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/EBCH/ebch.html