What Remington 700 do I have?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
ride_002000

What Remington 700 do I have?

Post by ride_002000 »

Ok this is boggling me at this point. I have been looking around for about an hour now.

I have a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag, it has a hinged floor plate with no iron sights. Im looking at selling it and the guy that was interested said it was an ADL. Everything I have found online says the ADL's did not have a hinged floor plate. I have attached a pic for everyone to check out and decipher what this is. If I get no luck, Im going to call Remington and see if they will tell me via the serial number which starts with a "G" and my understanding is that it was built in 2012.

Let me know what you experts think. Thanks

iskra1

Re: What Remington 700 do I have?

Post by iskra1 »

The 700 BDL has the bottom metal with floorplate assembly. The ADL has the so-called "blind magazine" with wood forward of the trigger guard unit. In general, the BDL reflects a higher value than the ADL model.
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Yes, that's an interesting variation. But, Remington is famous for variations.
Let's start with narrowing down the date. Here's the link to determine the date code from the stamped letters in the left side of the barrel.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

Now........
Basically, it looks like an ADL stock with a floorplate. It has a drop in the buttstock line and appears to possibly have a cheekpiece on the (downward) side that isn't seen on the buttstock. The Classics didn't have a cheekpiece or a drop in the line of the buttstock.
The checkering on the foreend doesn't wrap around like the Classics and is also more like the ADL version.
The floorplate is not typical ADL, however it could have been inletted and installed by someone.
The circular wooden "plugs" where the reinforcing pins are, are not typical ADL and are more typical of higher grade models or Custom Shop variants.

From my perspective, it's an "enhanced" ADL stock.

You didn't mention where or how you acquired it or under what circumstances or how it was described from the source you got it from.
It's not at all uncommon for Remington to put together numerous leftover parts for various vendors to sell.......and/or to their specifications. One source of some of the variants has been Grice Gunshop in Pennsylvania.

Den

ride_002000

Post by ride_002000 »

I got this gun on trade for an AR15 along with another gun and cash. He said it was a BDL due to the floor plate but couldnt remember for sure. And I looked up that the BDL's have the floor plate and I thought thats what i had but guess not.

Yes there is a cheek piece on the opposite side. The floor plate looks factory to me, or its a damn good job done on it. The barrel code starts with a "G" so that would mean 2012? I dont think this could be from the 1930's and 2012 is more on par with what the previous owner told me he bought it in. And pretty sure it was purchased in Michigan...if that helps.

Is it possible for remington to tell me what it is exactly by the serial number?
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Go to the link I posted. That's how you come up with the month and year it was made. The serial number (letter) prefix usually narrows it down to within about 5 years or so.

I dunno.......Remington might be able to tell you who they shipped the rifle to from the serial number. I don't know what other information they might be able to give, but if you describe it and/or send them a photo, they may be able to come up with a number of these variants they produced......but, don't count on it.

Den

ride_002000

Post by ride_002000 »

Thanks, The letters on the left side of the barrel are "WZ"

W = August
Z = 2005
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

OK. Now we know it's not as new as you thought.
I also browsed through the 2005 catalog (pdf version) I downloaded back then. There were no "ADL" variants listed in that year's catalog.

I still suspect it was a "special run" of that variant for some gun shop.

Den

ride_002000

Post by ride_002000 »

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.