Message for Roy Marcot

Sign the guestbook
BlueStar

Message for Roy Marcot

Post by BlueStar »

Hello Mr. Marcot.

My name is Tom McLoudrey and I am an enthusiast of the Remington rolling block rifle and have a great interest in the old west time period in which it was originally manufactured. I know of you through your many published books on firearms and your membership with the Remington Society. Your dedication to the preservation of American Heritage has led to believe you might be the right person to ask some difficult questions I have in regards to a famous rolling block rifle. For several years I’ve had a special interest to find out what happened to Custer’s hunting rifle at the Battle of Little Big Horn. I’ll just give you my questions in bullet points.

My first question for you is, have there been any serious efforts to track down Custer’s .50 cal. hunting rolling block that may have been at the scene during the Battle of Little Big Horn? There is a collective assumption the rifle was there but I have not read an account of a surviving company member mentioning anything about that weapon.

Secondly, professor Haynes forensic photo examination of son of Minneconjou Chief Lone Horn, Touch-the-Clouds, holding a Remington Rolling Block is certainly an interesting lead. Perhaps the descendants of Touch-the-Clouds have a story to tell if they were tracked down. Have there been any efforts to locate the chief’s relatives to see if a story exists that support the photo taken in 1877?

Thirdly and last, when you gained access to Remington’s record vaults did you come across a serial number for Custer’s purchase of that .50 cal. rifle? If the rifle was ever found the serial number would be the only way to authenticate it, it would seem to me.

Thank you for your time Mr. Marcot. I’m hopeful this email will reach you as I do not have your direct email address.

Sincerely,

Tom McLoudrey
Fort Collins, CO