Any info appreciated on Rolling Block

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
MSP Ret

Any info appreciated on Rolling Block

Post by MSP Ret »

Hi I know this is not much info but I just saw what appears to be an unmarked Remington Rolling Block at a yard sale for an asked for price of $195.00. It has no bluing left with a slightly more than a patina of rust, it appears to be complete except for a groove beneath the barrel in the stock that looks as if a loading or cleaning rod might have gone there. It is approximately 40-45 caliber but I can find no markings, The stock is complete and in poor condition with a steel buttplate.

What is it worth? I have no idea so any thoughts would help. The action is free and seems to solidly lock up and the firing pin (centerfire) appears to be operational, the original sights are present and the bore is rusty. If it is a 45-70 I would like to be able to shoot it, my wife says she likes the looks of it for over the fireplace but I would only like it IF I can shoot it, no matter what the caliber....<><.... :)
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

With out more information it is hard to say what the asking price would be, but I have seen rolling block actions only, going for $150.00 to $200.00.
The groove in the bottom of the forearm is for a cleaning rod. Hard item to find at times, could cost upwards of $80. Remington did not mark the calber on the guns until the late 1890's.
The most commond caliber was 43 Spanish, then 43 Egyptian, followed by the 45 Danish. Remington made very little rolling block military rifles in 45-70. In 20 years of collecting I have found two of them in that caliber. You would almost have to take a chamber casting to determine the caliber.
The rifles usually had 3 barrel bands, the early made rifles would have barrel band retaining springs to hold them in place (1867 to mid 1870's). the later models did not have the barrel band springs.
As for the bore, I have had some that look like a sewer pipe and have clean up nice, others that didn't.
Some rifles have a long bayonet lug on the right side of the barrel, which would help in identifing the type of rifle it could be.
If you were looking to shoot this rifle, you would probably have to do your own reloading. once the cabiler was determine.
Hope this helps some.

Matt
MSP Ret

Post by MSP Ret »

Thanks Matt, that was a great help. This gun had barrel band retaining springs but was missing the center barrel band and was made in Argentina I believe. Upon closer inspection the chamber had been hit or struck at the rear end and bent slightly out of round, the rear buttstock was cracked so I passed on it. I have however found a 7mm which I am in the process of buying. I believe it has a patent date of 1907 (?) and I know it is shootable. It was made in Mexico and will look nice on the wall to my wife and will be the "sister shooter" to my single shot H&R Handi Rifle in 7x57 with black walnut checkered stocks. Now there is going to be a pair that hard to beat!!! Do you have any ideas on price/value of the later Mexican Rolling Block in 7mm? It has no blue on it and the stock has been refinished, but it is a shooter in an easily available claiber, which I currently shoot and load for....<><.... :D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley