Remington Hepburn #3 Questions.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
chewbaca

Remington Hepburn #3 Questions.

Post by chewbaca »

I'm a bit of a novice with this description. I have been recently given a, presumably, Remington-Hepburn #3 Falling Block Rifle. I am interested in finding out as much information as I can (model, year, History, value, could/should it be fired etc...). The top of the barrel is stamped "E.Remington and Sons. Ilions. N.Y.", underneath the barrel is stamped "40.2 1/2", To the right and above the trigger it is stamped Pat. Hepburns Oct (7?)th 1879", and the presumable serial number is "6490" just behind the trigger. The Barrel changes shape from round (14 inches) to octagon at the front of the stock. It is very heavy. The pistol grip is checkered with a "V". It has a Swiss style schutzen buttplate. Three sites include one fold down elevator?, a buck horn?, and a "bead"? style. Mechanically is it tight and over I believe it is in "fine" to "excellent" condition. It most resembles this rifle but with a different front site (http://www.goergensgunshop.com/web_images/0479-1.jpg)
Thanks in advance for any help,
James
chewbaca

Re: Remington Hepburn #3 Questions.

Post by chewbaca »

I am also interested in any do's and don'ts with care, preservation and use? Thanks again...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

chewbaca wrote:I am also interested in any do's and don'ts with care, preservation and use? Thanks again...
renaissance wax is your best friend, put it on everything you can.... Wood, metal, everything (what else is there).
oughtsix

Post by oughtsix »

WOW! if your gun is similar to the photo, it could be an "A" or "B" grade Match rifle. The 40- 2 1/2 is .40-65 Sharps cartridge. Not to be too elementary, but that meant a .40 caliber bullet with 65 grains of black powder. Many guys I know(me included) use an equivalent charge of smokeless these days. I am not a Hepburn expert yet, but I think you did pretty darn good. There is a new book on Hepburns coming out this week, written by Tom Rowe. If you like, I can see if I can find his contacts. Pricey book but I am guessing he covers the subject thoroughly. I love #3's, I think they are the coolest old single shots going. Hopefully the bore is in fine shape. Where are you located, maybe I can get you in contact with better advice,

chewbaca

Post by chewbaca »

Thanks for the info. I live in Western NC. The bore seem good but needs a cleaning. Over all the rifle seems in really good shape. I've been trying to figure out if is the "A" or "B" grade. It seems to lack some of the "B" upgrades (burl wood, level sight etc.). I found the book on Amazon but is a bit rich for my blood ($119). But I would like to reference one at some point. Maybe someday I can find it in a library some where. Thanks again.
oughtsix

Post by oughtsix »

Hi Chewbaca,

Check out the American Single Shot Rifle Association (ASSRA)- ASSRA.com. They have a knowledgeable group of guys and I'm sure some one can help you identify your #3. There is a group that holds the Western Carolina Schuetzen matches, in Asheville, I think. Contact John Bancroft at 828-628-3064 if you are interested. you show up with that rifle to a shoot, and you will be the belle of the ball.

Grew up in the Great State, mom's folks were from N.Wilkesboro way