Model 141 Problem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Longbow

Model 141 Problem

Post by Longbow »

I have a Model 141 Remington pump in 32 remington,the gun was a gift from an uncle. Its a very nice old gun and very accurate. the problem is ,that it dos'nt pick up the shell from the magazine. It will feed the shell but as you slide the forearm forward,the shell will not be picked up and slid onto the face of the bolt. It lodges canted in the action. Any suggestion or help will be of great value. I'm using factory loaded shells.
Thanks ---longbow :?:
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Longbow, the cartridge must be pushed up into the very top of the breechblock (bolt) and is held horizontal by the extractor as it is entered into the chamber. If it is not all the way up in the bolt, then the carrier lever is too short. It is the part that lifts the carrier and places the cartridge properly into the bolt. If it is all the way up into the bolt and droops downard, not entering the chamber, then your extractor or its spring are at fault. A thorough cleaning and very light oiling may solve the problem if there is dirt or roughness in the grooves of the bolt or behind the extractor. Try the cleaning and watch inside as you are closing the action to see if you have the above problems. Post results before you replace parts.
Longbow

Rem 141

Post by Longbow »

Thanks for the suggestions,I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know if it worked or not ,once again thanks for the help---Longbow
Longbow

141 Remington

Post by Longbow »

Well, I took the gun apart and cleaned it ,and as I played with it,its apparent that the shell lifter is picking up the shell and lifting it to the bolt face. The problem seems to be that the bullet itself is catching,or failing to clear the magazine. The plunger appears to push it far enough into the chamber,but the bullet is hanging up on that half moon cut out just above where the mag. plunger comes to rest. As the shell lifter picks up the shell and starts to lift it,the bullet catches and cants the shell not allowing it to slide onto the bolt face. These are original factory shells,not any type of reloads. Do you think that there is a burr that I could polish off,or grind that curved area just alittle longer?
Thanks for all help ---Longbow
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Yes you can remove a small amount to allow the shell to pass. I had that problem with reloads where the bullet was not seated far enough, but never with factory loads. The overall lenght should not exceed 2.525 inches, so if you can measure your shells they may be too long. Take a look inside the gun with a shell in the action bar pulled all the way back to see if the shell is all the way back lined up with grooves in the bolt and if the front clears that half moon cut or not.
Did the gun work ok at first then suddenly fail? I doubt that it is badly worn from use that the connecting parts have slack. Do you know if any parts were replaced? Keep us posted.
Resident Dawg

Post by Resident Dawg »

I believe I had the same problem with my 141. Mine is a 35. Rem. When I hold the rifle at an angle where I can see inside the reciever the jam occours while trying to cycle tah action, the shell feeds ok, but the nose of the round gets caught up. However if I hold the rifle in a shooting position the rounds feed and chamber with no problems.