Are the Newer 1100's or 11-87's Reliable ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
ohiyesa

Are the Newer 1100's or 11-87's Reliable ?

Post by ohiyesa »

Hello
I am NEW to this site,,and I came here for a Truthfull answer on newer Remington Shotguns
Lately I have been shopping for a Semi-Auto Shotgun,,I have ALWAYS had a Remington 870 or an 1100 in my Houshold,,I have a Remington Sportsman 12 Magnum,,but I want a Semi-Auto for Waterfowl season,,which opens for 4 weeks starting tomorrow :D
But lately I have been hearing MANY Horror Stories on the newer 11-87's
I am a member of a few sites and I see the post's of Hunters that have had their Remington 11-87's in the Remington Shop 2 or 3 times for Malfunctions and breakage,,and these People say that their Guns are in the Shop during Waterfowl Season,,I can NOT have this happen,,I only get so much time to hunt Waterfowl,and I can't have my Gun in the "Shop" all the time.
So I guess my question would be: has anyone had a Problem with their NEWER 11-87's ? and are MOST of these Problems an easy fix at home,,or did the guns need to be sent back ? I am a Remington LOVER !!!
But I also LOVE to hunt Waterfowl,,Crows and Rabbits,,so I need to know that IF I buy an 11-87,,what are the odds of getting a Lemon,,and what are the odds that I can fix a Problem in the field or at my Home ?
I thank you VERY Much !!!
Ohiyesa
A Gun in Hand is worth more than a Cop on the Phone !!!
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

We are not in a position to answer your inquiry. Sorry Jay Huber RSA
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

you can't answer this question ??? I think I just got my Answer
Thank You very much
Ohiyesa
Dave

11-87

Post by Dave »

Yup, you did.
tudurgs

Post by tudurgs »

I dunno. I've owned probably 8-10 1100's - from 12 Mag to .410 skeet guns. So long as you maintained them properly ( no lube on magazine tube, clean the gas ports) they work perfectly. I've got a 3" mag for sale now.
Tbury

plsition on inquiry

Post by Tbury »

IMHO, Jay was just pointing out that it is not the purpose or scope of this board to be a "Consumer Reports" for any brand of gun. If you are having a specific problem with a Remington gun, I am sure you will find an answer from someone here. :D
Mountaineers are always Free
Jay Huber
Site Admin

Post by Jay Huber »

OHIYESA I don't appreciate your smart remarks to my answer to your questions. The Remington Society is made up of Remington firearms(antique and modern) collectors and collectors of other Remington products. We are really a historical research organization. We have nothing to do with the Quality and service of these products and would only know about such if posted on our site. To date I do not recall seeing any such problem postings. I don't know where you are getting your info. I think your remarks are uncalled for in that I answered you in the best way we know how from the information we have. Jay Huber RSA
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

Well My question was an Honest one,,I am 46 and I have had a Remington since I was 15 Years old,,My Uncle traded me an 1100 for one of those old,JUNK Muzzleloaders that were made in Spain,,I think back in 1976 the Cheapo Muzzleloader cost me,,maybe,,$30,,so I made out like a Bandit,,then I got the 1100 Stolen,,so I ended up getting an 870 Wingmaster,,well I usually Flip Flopped Guns between the 1100 and the 870 because Money was tight and I usually traded 1 for the other,,But anyway back in,,I THINK 1985 or 1986,,I bought a Sportsman 12 Magnum in the 870 Configuration,,and I have kept it ever since,But this year I decided since I started Waterfowl hunting again last year,that I needed a Semi-Auto,,but in the last few years I ahve heard some Horror Stories about the 11-87 and 1100's jaming up and breaking,,so I was trying to get an honest answer so it DIDNT ruin my Waterfowl Hunts or ANY Hunt for that matter,,but if it was just ONE THING breaking or screwing up,,then I could adjust accordingly AND be prepared,,but I guess I am not allowed or I am not supposed to ask this Question on this Board ???
I guess I just wanted an Honest opinion or a Poll of sorts,,The Guys I have heard say something happened to their 11-87's ALL said that Remington took GREAT care of them WHEN they DID have to send their Guns back :D
I guess I wanted to hear how Remington has improved,,or that they have worked the Bugs out of the 11-87's and that the Coast is Clear on buying a new one,,but I guess I can't Buy an 11-87 with Confidence UNTIL I hear that the Bugs HAVE been worked out ???
Thank you VERY MUCH !!!
Ohiyesa
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

Ohiyesa

I was going to write the same as thing Jay sent you. I still don't think you have a grasp of what Jay is trying to tell you. This forum is hosted by the RSA to further it's founding goals (see home page.) It is not intended to be a gereral shooters forum. Many people don't understand this and insist on asking question about current production guns. When they don't get a response they wonder why. In your case you read something into Jay's answer that wasn't correct. I would recommend that you post your question on a general shooter's forum and or check some past issues of Out Door LIfe or the NRA's American Rifleman. Spend a little time on our home page and learn more about us. Jay made a good call.

Loren RSA
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

yep,,you got er,wow,,you guys got it bad,,and you guys DID help me out
Ohiyesa
Claydust

Post by Claydust »

Ohiyesa

I can supply a bit of info.

Briefly my "qualifications"

- 37 years trapshooting experience, "minoring" in skeet and sporting clays

- Remington shotgun enthusiast since 1972

- Hunted upland game with 870's since 1972

- Shot Remingtons as my main competition guns since 1976

You will read a lot of BS about these guns on forums. There are some people that have a "burr under their saddle" and will go out of their way to bash "Big Green" for whatever reason. Yes, some 1100's do have problems and you will hear about it, some of this is user error, I have seen this many times.

With 4,000,000+ plus out there you will hear more "stories" about them than something like a high end Cosmi autloader that only some 1,000's are out there.

A percentage of 1100's or 11-87's do have problems; so do other brands. I hae experienced this with some other brands and seen EVERY brand have a problem at trap clubs, over the past 40 years.

I bought an 1100 Classic Trap, new in Dec. 2005, it was made in Sept. 2005.

Fit and finish was EXCELLENT and better than my 1976 870TB.

Point of impact was dead on left/right, height is 60/40, just where I like a trap gun to impact (a buddy of mine just won a new 1100 Classic Trap in a draw, it shoots to the same POI as mine)

Mine patterns well and "smokes" 16 yard trap targets.

Have shot over 5,000 shells; no breakage, no missfires.

One issue, to shoot very light reloads with 100% reliability, the gun needs to have the new style one piece "piston seal" replaced with the older two piece style. If you are not shooting 1 oz. light target loads, this is not an issue.

This has become my main trap gun and I would buy another one if I had too. If I was getting back into skeet and doing some sporting clays, I would likely buy a new 1100 Sporting 12. If I wanted something to replace my 870 20g Ltwt for upland, I would be looking at a new 20g 1100G3. Those are my thoughts and experiance with the 1100/11-87 family of guns.
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

Claydust
I REALLY appreciate your Reply,I have also thought that if you have a Million Guns,,some of them are going to have Problems,,that is WHY in my first question,,I asked if these Problems that are out there,,are they an easy Fix that I can do IN the field,,or at home ? Our Early Goose season just came in 2 days ago (Sat. Sept. 1st) and it is only 15 days long
IF I had a Lemon,,that would have ruined my Goose season,,I DON'T believe that IF I had to send my "NEW" 11-87 back to the factory,,that they could have had my Gun repaired and back to me within the 15 Days :?: BUT I had a legitimate Concern,,I have been a Hard Core 870 and 1100 owner for years,,But I have had the 870 Sportsman 12 Magnum for the last 20 years,and since I got back into Waterfowl Hunting,I want to get a Semi-Auto Remington,,But I was debating between an OLDER 1100 or a Newer/New 11-87 ??? IF I had a problem with a Remington,,I would at LEAST be honest about it,,if I was working for the Company,,I would at LEAST be Honest about ALL the problems,,IF a Company Rep lied to me,,or wouldn't answer my HONEST QUESTION,,I would then NEVER EVER buy a Firearm that the Company in Question Lied about,,skirted the issue,,or was not TOTALLY honest !
I think the problem with ALL Firearm makers,,new and old,,is that instead of admitting they have a problem,,they either LIE or Totally skirt the issue,,and then pray that the Guns they are STILL sending out to customers for sale to us Hunters ! and if I can fix a KNOWN Problem in the field,I have no problem,,send me the "Proper" Part,and I will be on my way,,But send me a part that is NOT going to fix the problem,,then that Company better be ready to refund my Money and at the SAME TIME,lose a Customer
I figured that when I posted my Question on here that SOMEONE would be honest and say,,I got a Lemon a few years ago,BUT Remington made it right,,and it only took 1 time,back at the manufacturer,and it hasnt messed up since,,But I didnt figure I WOULDNT get a Bad story or something that was a Minor problem,,If it was me I would have answered the Question TRUTHFULLY :shock: I would have told my story,,BUT at the same time say,,I STILL buy Remingtons and LOVE THEM,I guess thats just me though :?
Here is a case in point,,about 5 years ago I bought my 2 sons each a
Ruger 10/22,My oldest sons Rifle worked like Clock work,,My Youngest Sons 10/22 Jams a lot,,well 3 times BACK to the Ruger Factory,,and ALL Ruger did was say that they COULDNT find a Problem,and they would send 2 NEW Magazines ?
and the Gun KEPT jamming,,so ALL the Magazines that Jammed in the youngest sons gun,,would operate great in my Older Sons Rifle,,I had to tell THEM that it wasnt the Magazines,,well the 3rd time was it,,we sold EVERY RUGER FIREARM IN THE HOUSE !!! the Guy we sold the Jamming 10/22 to was told of the Problem and that Particular Rifle WAS discounted in Price,,we sold the Other Ruger 10/22,,a few Red Hawk and Super Redhawk Revolvers and a Ruger 77 Light weight 30-06 because IF the Manufacturer doesn't care enough about a Product THEY made,that DEFINATLY has a Problem,,well then I and my WHOLE FAMILY doesn't care if we EVER buy OR own another firearm made OR imported by that Particular Firearm Manufacturer !!! :x :cry:
Now Clay Dust,,just from reading YOUR Post,,I think I will buy an 1100 or an 11-87,,But By the other Gentlemans Post,,Remington almost lost a Customer and someone WOULD HAVE ended up buying my Remington Pump, Sportsman 12 Magnum !!!
Thank you VERY MUCH
Ohiyesa
Claydust

Post by Claydust »

One thing, just be clear on this;
Jay Huber wrote:We are not in a position to answer your inquiry. Sorry Jay Huber RSA
I think what Jay was being brief and to the point and perhaps should have added was that they are not in a position to answer the question because this is a site that is not a part of the Remington Arms Company and are a forum run by individuals who are Remington collectors, for Remington collectors.

I look in on this forum because of my long interest in Remington shotguns but the difference is, I am a shooter first (one who shoots trap every weekend at organized clubs) and not really a collector, so I was in a better position to respond.

Unlike some fans of certain brands, I will not tell anyone that you will not get a problem gun in any particular brand, Remington included.

Percentage wise, I don't think the numbers per guns sold is any higher than the other, well known brands.

I read countless "horror stories" about the Express. HOWEVER, I have seen at least 6 of these guns, newly purchased, brought out tothe club where I am trap chairman, brought out by new shooters.

I have helped them shoot POI tests, point of impact has been very good on all of them. There have been no failures or parts breakage in that small but very random sampling.
ohiyesa wrote:I asked if these Problems that are out there, are they an easy Fix that I can do IN the field,,or at home ?
We had one owner at the club of one of the currently fashionable imported brands, which are very reliable BUT, his broke a sear spring on opening day of duck season, by the time he received the new sear spring, it was the end of Dec.

I carry a spare parts kit for the 1100 Classic Trap, this practice is often used as "ammo" by bashers. However, I don't carry the kit because I think I will need it but because they are inexpensive and easy to carry in my shooting kit kit; so why not. In trap where you shoot 1,000's of shells a year, it is cheap "insurance"; in that sport, when your o/u goes down, your done; with an 1100 or 870, your often back in the game in a few minutes (been there, done that with both the Rem.'s and o/u's :wink: )

One thing about the 1100, 11-87 and 870, barring some unusual failure, most of the issues are easily fixed, by the owner, if they have a few simple mechanical skills and parts are easily obtained. I have not had to use it very often but in 35 years, I can say that Remington service and parts availability are excellent.
ohiyesa

Post by ohiyesa »

Clay Dust
Well at first when I got the Post from Jay,,I thought this WAS a Remington Owned Site,,that was why he said,,they can NOT answer the Question,,and IF it was Remington Owned,,and I was a Remington Executive,,I would have STILL ANSWERED the Question,,I would have said hey,,I am a die hard Chevy Man,,but I got a Bad one in 1990,,and I AM a DIEHARD Chevy Man,,and I got a Lemon when I bought a Brand New 1990 Chevy Work Truck 4X4,,it gave me all kinds of Problems !!! and then with 30 Miles LEFT on the Warranty,,the ENTIRE Distributor went out on the truck and it was 3 Blockes from where I bought it,,so 30 More Miles,,and I would have had to pay $600 to replace the Distributor,,I would have fixed it my self and saved a TON of Money,,But they took care of me,,and I just bought a Brand New Chevy 4 door 4X4,,so far,,so good
But My Point is that I NEVER would have Skirted the Issue,,if Remington Got BAD Springs and the Springs Broke on 5,000 Guns,,then SAY,,we had 5000 Springs break,,but we WILL send you a replacement,so WHEN your Spring Does Break,,you will be able to replace it
I WAS thinking of Buying a Stoeger Model 2000,,BUT since talking to you there Mr Clay Dust,,I think I will go ahead and Buy the Remington 11-87 in FULL CAMO for Waterfowl,,Crows and Rabbits :D
I Need to find out what Does the Point Of Impact (POI) mean when you say it is 60/40 up and down,,and dead on,when shooting left to right,,I didnt Know they shot that way,,or you could change it,,I always Shot mine with a Certain Brand of Shells,,and IF my Shotgun DIDN'T shoot a Good Patern,,then I switched Shells until I found one I liked? am I going about this wrong ??? and do you Hold UNDER the Bird going Straight AWAY from you ? I DEFINATLY need some HELP with Shooting Birds and Clay Pigeons !!!
Ohiyesa
Claydust

Post by Claydust »

ohiyesa wrote:I Need to find out what Does the Point Of Impact (POI) mean when you say it is 60/40 up and down,,and dead on,when shooting left to right,,I didnt Know they shot that way,,or you could change it,,I always Shot mine with a Certain Brand of Shells,,and IF my Shotgun DIDN'T shoot a Good Patern,,then I switched Shells until I found one I liked? am I going about this wrong ??? and do you Hold UNDER the Bird going Straight AWAY from you ? I DEFINATLY need some HELP with Shooting Birds and Clay Pigeons !!!
Ohiyesa
Point of impact is where the gun shoots in relationship to your point of aim.

Us trapshooters are preoccupied with it. It can vary a bit with the same gun and different shooters because no two of us are alike and our eye in effect is the rear sight. Stock dimensions, barrel configuration, rib configuration all play a part. Compedative trap is tough enough without knowing where your gun shoots or shooting one with a POI that doesn't suit your shooting style.

The left/right thing is what rifle shooters call "windage"; we don't want any deviation there, it shoul hit dead center, not to the left or right of the point of aim. Remington may have had some guns out with missaligned choke tubes around 2000 to 2001, bashers make great "sport" of this. It may be true but my choke tubed Remington's (and my wife's) span from 1989, 1994, several from 1995 and one from 2005 these all shot dead on, as have all the Express's I have tested for new shooters.

60/40 means 60% of the pattern above the point of aim, 40% below, this is what I like for trap and it is about as low as most trapshooters like to have a gun shoot. Some like 70/30 or 80/20. The targets are always rising so these higher shooting guns are prefered.

For skeet, sporting clays and hunting, I want a gun that shoots 50/50; 50% of the pattern above the point of aim 50% below. My 20g 870 Ltwt, my 1980 vintage 870SA Skeet and 870 Wingmaster LC all shoot a 50/50 POI. Many prefer 50/50 for these uses because the target flight in these shooting activities varies more in hight of target flight.

I would expect the 11-87 hunting gun you mentined would shoot 50/50, this is great for most uses, not so good for compedative trap because you have to "cover the target" with the muzzle/front bead ti hit it, losing sight of the clay. That is of no concern if you are mainly hunting though.

I have not found POI to change with the type of shells, unlike rifles which can vary a lot with different ammo.

POI is easily measured. I put a 2 ft. square card with a small visible dot in it's center up in a safe area to shoot about 6 ft. off the ground (we have a post at the club for this). I shoot the target from 13 yards away (not very far). You must hold your gun and sight on the dot the exact same way in every way, that you would shooting at a game bird or target.

Because you are so close, it will punch about a 2" or 3" hole in the card. Note where this is in relationship to the dot you aimed at. Left right deviation is easy to see. If the center of the hole the shot made is 1" above the dot, the gun is shooting 60/40, 2" is 70/30; dead on for height is 50/50. These numbers for the 13 yard test are not mine, I didn't make them up, they are used by trapshooters frequently.

Guns can be partial to ammunition switches. My 1976, fixed full choke 870TB Trap is proof of that; it shoots an very nice pattern with a factory, Federal Goldmedal 1150 fps target load, the same gun doesn't shoot a Federal Goldmedal 12200 fps target load nearly as well. Some 870TB's shoot both quite well, there's a bit of witchcraft involved in what makes for good patterns out of a particular gun, sometimes :wink: