Remington 14 escutcheon

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
eliwhitley

Remington 14 escutcheon

Post by eliwhitley »

Does anyone know where I can find the escutcheons for the model 14 forearm. Or something that can replace them.

I don't even see them on the schematic.

Thanks, Don
nambujim

Re: Remington 14 escutcheon

Post by nambujim »

No, they are not on the parts schematic, and the only way you can get one is from one that is beat up beyond repair. The early ones were brass, later ones were steel, and to make things more interesting the inside diameter varies.

I have a few or maybe even an old beat up fore arm that you could salvage them from.

I'm thinking you probably purchased a 14 from Gunbroker and figured you could fix it up but its not so easy since each rifle is "parts specific" up to about serial 85,000. I will need your address.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
eliwhitley

Post by eliwhitley »

Well thanks a bunch. They are for a 14 1/2 carbine serial number 70,394. The fore arm is split, lengthwise, completely. Any help there? Do you know why the front sights on 14 1/2's are so different than standard 14's?

Are any of the escutcheon for sale?

Don Whitley
325 Speedwell Forge Rd
Lititz, PA 17543

Thanks
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Don!

Give me your address and I will ship you a couple, problem is I ship in a small priority mail box which costs $10 and the trip/time/gas to go to the post office is another $10 so I'll give you the the escutcheons but the cost of shipping is $20.

You can probably get a "wood guy" to repair your fore end, have several cracked/broken ones myself, and thinking of packing them up for my "wood guy" so maybe he could make one good one.

The sights on the 14-1/2 were the same as the 14. Yours is a high serial 14-1/2 so it would have used the 7-1-1/2 long leaf rear sight and a high front..............the same as the 14's of that period. The earlier guns used the 117-1/2 Wheel rear sight and a very low front sight. ALL 14's & 14-1/2's had the notch in the barrel for the Wheel sight, it was actually needed for the milling process on the barrel, and the Wheel sight was designed to cover/utilize the slot or notch.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
eliwhitley

Post by eliwhitley »

Great $20 for shipping, how much for the escutcheons. I can give you a personal check and you wait until it clears.

Thanks, Don
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

$20 will cover everything and yes personal check will be fine. My address is somewhere on the RSA site and if not............send me a personal email and I will give it to you.

One other thing, the Remington factory had a LOT of sight options including Marble, Lyman, King, and others. You could order a rifle from the factory and pick your sights so you do see a bunch of these with mostly Marble sights but they could have been added later.
Jim Peterson