700 ADL Carbine Dilemma

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
buckspooker

700 ADL Carbine Dilemma

Post by buckspooker »

I unknowingly bought a 700 Carbine in 308 at a show about 6 years ago. At the time I knew it was an early model based on the 5 digit ser. # and the magazine cut in the top of the receiver but I bought it with the intention of letting my son use it to hunt with when he got old enough. My intention was not to view it as an investment. It sat in the safe until this summer when I mounted a Leupold 2.5x7 on it and sighted it in (extremely impressive groups). I paid 300 for the rifle in VG to EXC condition and saw one today on Gunbroker at almost 900. My son is 13 and shot his first deer with it this year and I am torn between letting him continue to carry this little beauty around in the woods or put it back in the safe. What would you all do?
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

Your rifle was produced between '62 and '64 with all standard calibres having the 20" barrel. Unless its NIB, enjoy it. I don't call them carbines as that was all that was produced these 3 years. Some buyers go gaga over the short barrel and have driven the values of truly used guns way up. I have a 4 digit serial numbered 600 in 35 Rem and got its first deer with it this year. Extend my congrats to your son on his first deer with a fine rifle. Don't worry. He will treasure that gun forever.
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

Just like 600remguy said, it is just a gun.

Shoot it and enjoy it.

Some guns are good investments and some guns are bad investments.

A gun never looses it's value as long as you take care of it.

But, if you had invested $300 in 1970 in General Electric or ATT or IBM stock, it would be worth considerably more money than what a couple of Remington rifle's of the same vintage and cost is worth today.

Let me put it to you this way, a 1970 1/2 Z 28 Camaro was probably $3,000 + back in 1970.

If you would have bought them stocks, they would be worth over $50,000 right now. The Camaro - which you drove and had fun in might be worth $25,000 if it was still in good condition.

What do you want to do? Have fun or make money?

All your boy is going to know is that he got a pretty nice rifle that does it's job when you go hunting. That one memory will be worth much more than just a couple of extra dollars in the bank - which you will be too afraid to spend. But when you die, your kids will blow it without a second thought. The gun they wouldn't think of selling, unless they are into drugs and gambling.