model 14 sights

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
thorman944

model 14 sights

Post by thorman944 »

Hi, after taking my model 14 (30 rem) into the field yesterday and not being able to aquire a good sight alignment quickly enough to take a 50 yard shot at a walking deer, I'm leaning toward replacing the factory sights.

This is the 3rd time in the last 5 years that I have missed opportunities to harvest deer due to the factory sights. The sights seem to be relatively 'fine' (as in small) - great for the range where my average 50 yard group is under 1 inch (2 MOA). However, they can be hard to get a good alignment at a deer that's moving at even a slow walk.

I am seriously considering the William's peep sight for the rear sight as they sell a model that's specifically made for the Model 14. Has anybody here used this, and if so, does this replace the factory rear sight or does my receiver or barrel need to be modified in any way? I really don't want to modify my rifle as it's a family heirloom (2nd owner was my great-great grandfather). I also don't want to modily the existing sights in any way - I have no problem with removing them if they can later be remounted to the rifle.

They (William's) also have a line of fiber optic front sights that will fit into factory dovetail front sight mounts. Has anyone here tried this or know which size dovetail to order?

Any input on various open/iron sight combinations that you have used for field use would be extremely helpful. - Tom

-----------------------------------------------

Also- not to beat a dead horse, but there's no need to hand-load pointed ammo into the cylinder. All you need to do is load 1 round into the magazine. Work the slide to chamber the round. Insert 2nd round into the magazine. Now you have a 2 shot repeater using pointed ammo safely. From my experience - if the first 2 shots don't do the job, something else is wrong and firing 3 or 4 more isn't going to help the situation.
wiktor

Post by wiktor »

Hi, nice rifle you have there! I have the Williams receiver sight and it's still sitting in it's box because you do have to drill the gun. You could search for a lyman or King tang sight as these don't require any extra holes. You could also look for a Redfield 102B receiver sight that fits the factory holes. I have one of these on one of my 14's and highly recommend it! They are tough to find though. Check gunshows and Ebay. Good luck!
Greg T

Sights on the Model 14

Post by Greg T »

Unfortunately, if you have a very early Model 14, you won't get the factory drilled and tapped holes in the tang area of the rifle. The early ones did not have them.
Greg T
thorman944

Post by thorman944 »

Thanks for the input, folks. I think I have an idea. I can find replacement (original) rear sights for this model on ebay and gunbroker for under $30. I think I will buy one and modify it by rounding out the 'V' notch and welding an aperature in place. Might not be the best solution, but it beats searching for a year or two to spend $200 on a 90 year old peep sight or spending over $100 in buying a modern one and having my receiver drilled. I will take pictures and if it works maybe post a how-to.
Greg T

Reply to thorman944

Post by Greg T »

Two summers ago when I was restoring a Remington Model 12, .22 pump rifle, I also looked for a tang sight for it. I did find two tang sights but they were for the larger frame rifles (Model 14, etc) and the holes just were not the same for the .22 Model 12. I have a Lyman tang sight with two holes that go into the rear of the receiver factory holes on the rifle, this has a tang aperture that will fold down onto the sight base. I also have a Marbles that has three holes, two that go into the rear of the receiver factory holes and one that goes into the wood. The sights are nice looking but the elevation mechanisms of both were a bit sloppy (the threaded nut that elevates the stem with the aperture on the tip) I added a bit of super glue to hold the elevation steady, and then I decided not to use them anyway. Then, I found a Model 14 and thought I was in business, but mine is too old and does not come factory drilled and tapped. So, here I sit with two sights I cannot use. I figured that a machinist could make me a new elevation nut as that was what they seem to need for rock steady elevation settings. I paid too much for them on auction also. Oh well... If these sound like something you can make use of, they both are yours for $50 and $5 to ship. Send me your mailing address and I will send them out to you to look over. If they are workable for you, send me a personal check for the total. If not, send them back to me, just pay return shipping. My email is:

thorsrig (at) cheqnet.net

Hopefully this isn't violating forum rules. I could not find how to send a personal message.
Thank you,
Greg T.
Hayward, Wis.