Photos of my Remington Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Greg T

Photos of my Remington Model 14

Post by Greg T »

Here are the photos I took of my cleaned up rifle. I added a sling using the Michaels "barrel band" front swivel kit that really was put on the magazine support ring, and a Pachmayr rubber rifle pad to replace the buttplate that was no longer there. Also refinished the buttstock to match the slide.

http://www.fototime.com/inv/AA89D7D031F3466

Greg T.
Noel

Re: Photos of my Remington Model 14

Post by Noel »

Thanks for sharing Greg! 8)
I just found a 32 mod.14 tonight in "very good+" for $400. I told Christy to get it for me for my birthday. I am sure you can imagine the response.....

I found one of those cartridges (32Rem) up at the homestead too, only this one was a loaded dud with a struck primer, laying in the hayfield! :shock: The nose of the bullet is eroded away from 70+ years of being there but the rest intact.

Also found a ton of 32 WCF cases there so perhaps they accidentally tried to use it in their Winchester. I have found not records of them having either rifle in that chambering so it is all heresay as to what really happened.

With your vast collection, what have you found to be the best achievable accuracy with a M 14 using the irons at 100yds?

Noel
Greg T

Post by Greg T »

Noel: Good to hear from you again! I have moved my shooting table to 50 yards for the winter. Right now there is so much snow on my range, I wonder if I can even shoot! But once I get out there and start walking the snow down, things should get better. It is way too cold to shoot... When I last got out better than a month ago, I had the Model 14 shooting a 1400 fps load that was grouping 1 3/8ths inches down to 7/8th inches for 4 shots from the shooting bench. The bullet was a Lyman #323470 sized to .320". I used 5.5 grains of the Trail Boss powder and I believe this is data used in the .32/40. This was IMR data provided by Hodgdon Powder Company. I like the cast bullets as they are so easy on the rifle, not to mention less costly. The bore on my 14 is still cleaning itself up. When I started it was a mess of 90 years accumulation of copper fouling not to mention corrosive primer salts. It is cleaning up amazingly well and still has very good rifling and more or less "frosted" areas of pitting rather than deep holes... As I shoot it, the bore is polishing up. The barrel is real sensitive to pressure put upon it while shooting. Probably the most sensitive of any rifle I currently shoot. A little upward pressure on the slide and the bullet will fly out of the group! Using care and supporting the frame only, the bullets group very well when I do my part... I probably won't shoot many jacketed bullets in it unless I actually use it for deer hunting. It has 14 deer to its credit already and has done a lifetime of work! I would like to find another one in .30 Remington, maybe get a set along with the .35 Remington. Have to first get through what is rapidly becoming a very expensive winter here in Wisconsin. Thank God I burn mostly wood with an LP back-up boiler...
Best wishes!
Greg T.
Hayward, Wisconsin
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hope you get dug out before long! Even in the shade we don't have four inches up here. The least you could have done is share with us so the kids had snow to play in!

I am going to try mine this weekend. Not for group but more for curiousity. I haven't found a source for that Big Game powder you use up here so I will use H4895 and call it good. As long as I hold my tongue right and talk to her real nice she should feed three rounds within 20 minutes. :lol:

Best,
Noel