Remington 514 single shot rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dick_tracy1953

Remington 514 single shot rifle

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

I have a few questions about my Remington Model 514 single shot rifle. First of all I can find no serial number even after I removed the action from the stock. The receiver has not been grooved for a rifle scope. On the Remington website they list that this model was first introduced in 1948 then discontinued in 1970. When I look at the barrel date stamping I find what looks to be a "U" with ears on top, followed by WW. There is what looks to be an "n" after the WW just as the barrel fits into the receiver. Is it possible that this rifle was made in 1972 without a serial number or a scope mount grooved receiver.

What is the what with this rifle.
Tbury

Re: Remington 514 single shot rifle

Post by Tbury »

WW would indicate the year of manufacture of 1950. U does not fit with the barrel code for the months. It should be a letter from B L A C K P O W D E R X . YOUR U may be a W or an X which would be Aug. or Dec. Rimfires were not required to have serial numbers until 1968. I am not sure what Remingtons policy on rimfires was prior to 1968.
Mountaineers are always Free
John Gyde

Re: Remington 514 single shot rifle

Post by John Gyde »

As memory serves me (dangerous...), Rem put serial numbers on all (or nearly all) rimfire rifles until around 1954. Then they resumed in Oct 1967 to comply with the 1968 requirements.