An oddly short-barreled 700

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Steamrabbit

An oddly short-barreled 700

Post by Steamrabbit »

I bought myself a 'new' model 700 over the weekend with some quirks that I can't quite figure out and I was hoping that one of the learned Remington experts here could help me figure out exactly what it is.

This is certainly no antique. It's a stainless model that has what certainly looks like the Tri-Nyte anti-corrosion coating on it. The stock is synthetic and is the exact same size as that of the full-sized 2005 SPS that I traded in (I looked at them side-by-side). The bolt is jeweled. So far, sounds like a basic edition XCR. Except that it has a 19" inch barrel and a detachable magazine.

It's in 30-'06 and the serial number is T62014**. Any ideas exactly what this thing is? Looking through the 2007 Remington catalog (hardly advanced research, but it's what I had) the shortest barrels I see are 20" on youth models. Yet the stock is full size so I don't think it was a youth model, unless maybe someone replaced the stock. It is definitely a factory Remington stock with slight cut-aways at the bottom to allow the buttons on the sides of the magazine to be depressed.

Meanwhile, I'm figuring that I'd better look for the hottest factory loads that I can find with the fastest burning powder around, since a barrel that short is going to sap a lot of the power that I want to deliver with a 30-'06 to a deer or elk at 200 yards. Any suggestions for particular factory loads that will make the most out of this little barrel would also be appreciated. I don't even know exactly how much energy to deduct from standard 24" barrel ballistics tables.

Thanks for your help.
Wapiti

Re: An oddly short-barreled 700

Post by Wapiti »

Steamrabbit,
An excellent Elk cartridge you may consider is the Federal Premium Vital Shock High Energy (HE) 180 gr. Nosler Partion (Product # P3006R). It has a Muzzle Velocity (MV) 180 fps faster than the standard 180 gr Nosler Partion (P3006F). Even with the shorter barrel you should have sufficient energy to take Elk close to 300 yards (using 2000 foot pounds as a planning figure).

Here are the Ballistics of the HE Nosler Partition:
Velocity in Feet Per Second
Muzzle 2880
100 - 2685
200 - 2498
300 - 2318
400 - 2147
500 - 1982

Energy in Foot Pounds
Muzzle 3315
100 - 2881
200 - 2494
300 - 2148
400 - 1842
500 - 1570

Other high energy/velocity loads to consider for medium to heavy game are the line of Light Magnums from Hornady. Hordady light magnum cartridges come in soft points, interbond, and SST in weights of 150, 165, and 180. (I believe the Nosler Partition is a better and more dependable bullet on heavy game than anything available from Hornady factory loads.) Hornady MVs typically are 150-200 fps faster than hornady's standard 30-06 loads. Full ballistics and discriptions are available at http://www.hornady.com

Information and full ballistics on the Federal ammo is available through http://www.federalcartridge.com

As far as the short barrel goes, you may try contacting customer service at 800-243-9700 and give them the serial number to track down the manufacturing particulars. Maybe they have an explanation. I have always had great help when dealing with the folks in customer service @ Remington.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting :D