How many rounds fit in a Model 14 Magazine?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
m0ondoggy

How many rounds fit in a Model 14 Magazine?

Post by m0ondoggy »

My dad just finished making a model 14 follower on my lathe. We didn't have exact dimensions to work from, so we did the best we could. It feels like it's hanging up after 3 rounds are in the tube.

It looks like it should hold way more than 3 rounds in the tube, maybe 4 or 5?

If I load one, and let it go under the gate I can get 2 more in front of it for a total of 3 before it binds. Is that normal? If not, we have some more work to do :D.

Thanks for the help so far.
If it goes bang, I like it.
Tbury

Re: How many rounds fit in a Model 14 Magazine?

Post by Tbury »

I believe if you load one in the chamber you can get 5 in the magazine. Of course the first one slides behind the load gate which means the spiral will take 4. Tbury
Mountaineers are always Free
Noel

Post by Noel »

Tbury, going by the info you sent me which I was studying like a good student last night the tube of a 14A will hold five rounds in the mag and one "in the pipe"(chamber).

Moondoggy, I can give you specific dimensnions if you need. I forget what caliber your 14 is. The pic I sent you is for a 25 Rem. The follower for a 35Rem is different but I believe the 25,30 and 32 are identical. Hopefully someone can say if I'm right or wrong. Numrich might be a place to check too.

Did you pull out the spring and end cap to ensure there is no treasure plugging things up for you in the mag tube?
m0ondoggy

Post by m0ondoggy »

Thanks guys. Noel, specific dimensions would help a great deal. This gun is in .30 Rem. Also, how much spring pressure is there on the follower? We got a pretty generic spring from numerich, that I'm pretty sure is a one size fits all deal that we're going to need to cut.
Noel

Post by Noel »

I will try to remember to yard out the follower and spring tonight. :wink:
Noel

Post by Noel »

Okay, largest diameter is: .436", length of this collar is .1505"
the reduced section which makes the face of the plunger is .417" by .200"
The small shank where the spring slides on is actually tapered. .350" at the biggest end where the collar is and then a straight taper down to .300" at the edge of the radius.

The spring is 9.950" long as it lays uncompressed. There is a small wood plug in the far end of the tube much like the plunger pictured above. It is round, with a collar like the plunger, but it has a reduced shank at each end, only big enough for the spring to slide on with a bit of friction. This wood piece is a bit crude but I would not be suprised if it is still a factory part.

Dimensions for it:
.950" long, that being total length
Collar is .4125"
Each reduced end is about .352". One reduced end is .435" long, while the other is only .242" long. Basically the shank the spring slides on is twice as long as the end that sits quitely against the magazine plug. I would guess that is why it is wood.

Let me know if you need anything else. Keep in mind this rifle was built in 1912, the first year of production I believe. They may have changed desing by the time your was built.
I read that they stepped up to a bigger loading gate along the way. If yours is the bigger I would not be suprised if your follower needs to be different. I have nothing to support the theory, it's just a thought....... :wink:

Noel
m0ondoggy

Post by m0ondoggy »

Interesting, I didn't realize there was a wood plug in there. Numerich sent me a super spring about 3 feet long, and I'm sure it's the wrong part. What are the dimensions on the spring? I think the main problem I've been having is that as the spring compresses it becomes wider than the diameter of the piston end on the follower and then binds the whole works in the tube.

Thanks for your help.
Noel

Post by Noel »

The spring itself is only maybe a 32nd thick so I guess that would make it roughly .410" same as outside of the wood plug. I would hazard a guess your spring is too burly for the job and it wants a lighter one. You would think that Numrich knows there stuff tho so I hate to say they sent the wrong one.

Did you cut it to the right length?
m0ondoggy

Post by m0ondoggy »

Yeah, even with barely any starting compression it still binds. I've had real bad luck with numerich lately. The spring was listed as a "super spring" so I think it's some one size fits all replacement spring. I'll have to mic it in the morning and see what gauge it is.
Noel

Post by Noel »

I was talking with a friend here via pm and he mentioned the wood plug I have in the spring is not origonal equipment. I have never pulled the one out of my "new" 25.

Did you get things working yet?

Noel
m0ondoggy

Post by m0ondoggy »

Yep, it's working. We ended up twisting the spring on a rod a bit to narrow the OD and it works pretty well now. I'm guessing your spring may be weak and the plug was added to stiffen it up some.

Either way, I'm all set now. Thank you for your help, it was invaluable.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Glad to help Moondoggy. Now let's see how it shoots! 8)
m0ondoggy

Post by m0ondoggy »

If anyone is interested, here are the plans for the reverse engineered follower. We added a dimple to the center of the follower to make it a little easier to load.