Vintage Remington 121A - repair or parts?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
MilesB

Vintage Remington 121A - repair or parts?

Post by MilesB »

Hi all,

In a recent purchase of several working rifles, I was given (the majority of) a Remington 121A (serial #3510xx). I have the upper & lower receivers, and they fit together quite nicely, but it has two major problems: a) the bore is badly pitted, and b) it's missing the "inards" (bolt assy, etc). I could probably replace the "inards" and get it to shoot, but with that pitted bore it may not be very accurate (and consequently, no fun).

Is it worth fixing this old bird? Is it even possible (new barrel)? The stock, forend, and many other parts look good, is it just a parts gun now?

Any opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Noel

Re: Vintage Remington 121A - repair or parts?

Post by Noel »

Mile's,

If you find a breech bolt for reasonable you might consider getting the barrel relined.
If the outside is in rough shape tho you might be further ahead looking for another.

I was looking for a 12C to rob the barrel from to fix my Uncle's and purchased a very nice one. Fortunately I found a guy to reline my wore out barrel before taking the barrel off the other one. Now I can get Reuben's gun going for a fraction of the cost. With a well done job you won't be able to tell it was redone save for a slight back bore at the muzzle. The external bluing wear will still match the receiver perfect after too. :wink:

Just a thought.....
MilesB

Post by MilesB »

Thanks, Noel. I hadn't thought about barrel relining. How much might that cost me?

Aside from the barrel interior, missing parts, and some normal aging, the rifle actually looks quite good for it's age. I think it's pre-WWII, but I'm not certain (bluing looks that aged, anyway). Stock, forend, trigger assy, etc, all look good.

Just wondering whether the value of the rifle (in working order) justifies the expense of fixing it.....or just part it out.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

I've relined a number of small-bore barrels. It isn't difficult but the tools are expensive. I don't think you can get it done for less than a hundred bucks, as Brownells gets $32.00 for a good liner and $91.00 for the drill these days.

http://e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp? ... l=0860z121

Numrich above has bolt assemblies for 65 bucks and also other parts. They also have liners but theirs are often old and rusty.

On an old centerfire barrel, I can often do wonders with recrowning and JB Bore Paste. but not if a barrel is badly pitted. The pits cause too much fouling, too fast.

All that adds up to at or slightly more than a relined 121 in aged condition is worth. There are a lot of these out there and a high demand for parts. If it were mine I'd part it out and look for a nicer one on AuctionArms.com or Gunbroker.com. They are nice little rifles and well worth having.

Noel

Post by Noel »

MilesB wrote:Thanks, Noel. I hadn't thought about barrel relining. How much might that cost me?

Aside from the barrel interior, missing parts, and some normal aging, the rifle actually looks quite good for it's age. I think it's pre-WWII, but I'm not certain (bluing looks that aged, anyway). Stock, forend, trigger assy, etc, all look good.

Just wondering whether the value of the rifle (in working order) justifies the expense of fixing it.....or just part it out.

Well sir, that is a decision you have to make for yourself. Like Bob has mentioned, it may bring the price higher than it is worth but if it is special to you then that is different.

Mine for example is a family heirloom and nothing means more to me that one of those. I am getting it relined and shipped back to me from the west coast for $175. With the condition you listed I would be tempted to do it, for sure if it was from my family but I am different than alot of folks. LOL