remington 700 270 wsm

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
darthballs

remington 700 270 wsm

Post by darthballs »

leaning towards this gun for midwest deer and out west elk. could be shooting out to 400 yards or so. what do u guys think of this gun in this particular round. any help would be greatly appreciated tahnks
remington600

Re: remington 700 270 wsm

Post by remington600 »

Ive never been a fan of the 270, but probably for very silly reasons. If I were going to buy one though I would just buy the standard 270 for ease of finding ammo. You never know when you might be in a fickle and need to find ammo, and it will be easier to find standard 270s then WSM. Good luck and I hope you figure it out and your happy with your decision.
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I have a Browning A Bolt in .270 WSM, and it is a hot rod.

But my opinion of the caliber is that you would be better off with a 30 caliber - over a 27 caliber.

My opinion is also that the WSM is nothing more than a fad and that a good 300 Winchester Magnum is a much better rifle than a Winchester Short Magnum.

I would also go so far as to say that you might have a problem finding ammo for your gun in certain areas of the country and at certain times of the year. Due to the fact that stores carries the more popular rounds in bulk and does not keep as much of odd calibers on hand.

You can go almost anywhere in the world on a hunting trip and buy 30 - 06 / 300 Winchester Magnum rounds, but will have a much harder time finding ones for a short magnum.

Because of the size of the round, the firearm does not hold as many rounds of the short magnum as it does a standard round.

So you are giving up alot to gain a little.
darthballs

Post by darthballs »

do you find the 270 wsm hard to zero in? what type of groups do u shoot? just looking at the ballistics charts and they seem to be a super flat shooter out to 3-400 yards which is about my limit. i have a 300n win mag a-bolt as well that i like but seems to be a bit much for deer so i was looking at the 270 and thinking of putting a 130 grain in it as opposed to the 180 i shoot in my 300. like i said i have never shot the 270 wsm and might rethink my choice if they are a hard load to zero