Post by jacamo »

I have a new to me model 14 the ser# C588xx
Any ideas as to the year it was made.
Thank you in advance
Jim
Tbury

Re: Model 14 dating by ser#

Post by Tbury »

I do not have my date list with me but my 14 serial number C5448x was made in 1917 so yours was probably made in late 1917 or early 1918. Someone else may have a closer fix on the date. You can always try Remingtons customer support and ask for a date. They may or may not get it right. I sent this number in and they told me it was in the 20s. The C designation and location of the serial number were changed in 1921. Barrel date coding started at this time. What caliber is it? :D
Mountaineers are always Free
Tom H

Post by Tom H »

Your serial indicates 1917 manufacture. Be aware of the fact that Remington did not always make guns in serial order. I have a 1914 serial that was made in 1925. I also have 52517, a 1917 number, that was made in 1920. Determining the exact date requires looking at several features on the rifle. .........tom
NRA Benefactor Member
jacamo

Post by jacamo »

Thanks Tbury & TomH for the information.
The caliber is 35Remington interesting rifle the sights have been changed to all lyman & butt pad added Someone cleaned up the stock it appears with steel wool. I cleaned it a little more & just put some boiled linseed oil on it for now. One day I'll tear it apart & make it match the forearm. The rifle is in pretty good shape with a nice bore & not much wear. Now if it shoots good I'll be very happy with the rifle
Thanks
Jim