Model 1100 Identification, Age and Value

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
aviator7836

Model 1100 Identification, Age and Value

Post by aviator7836 »

Thank you all in advance for reading and rsponding to yet another Model 1100 identification posting.

I have read all the posts I could find here on the Society web site as well as the wonderful article on the history of the Model 1100 and the manufacture date information yet with all of that very helpful information I am still stumped by the Model 1100 that I have here. There are some confounding bits of information that that seem to contradict all of the descriptions I found so far. Any help and insight you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

First, this Model 1100 has an engraved receiver inlaid with gold but it is not in a hunting scene as described for "1 of 3000" models or "Ducks Unlimited" models. The engraving is scrollwork inlaid with gold.

The stock is walnut and the checkering is hand cut. The wood looks better than average and there is what looks like a rosewood cap on the grip. The butt pad is perhaps not original and is fairly thick and vented and labeled "Pachmayr Gun Works, Los Angeles Calif."

The left side of the barrel is stamped with a sideways "V" then "OY" followed by an "H" which sits a little higher and out of line from the "OY." So the barrel marking looks something like "> OY H" I made the assumption that this meant the barrel was manufactured in July 1974 based on the manufacturing date information here on the web site but I am not sure. I have no idea how old the gun is and it came into my possession around 1990.

Now the really strange thing is the serial number which, according to everything I have read here, should begin at 1001. However, the serial number of the left side of the receiver is clearly "271V". This does not line up with any information I have found to date and seems extraordinarily low.

The barrel appears to be a 30" and is stamped with "12ga. for 2 3/4 or shorter shells" and in smaller letters there is a stamping that says "FULL" which I assume to be the choke.

I am not sure what else to tell you folks that might help identily this shotgun. It really has me perplexed and I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks so much,

Doug
The Rifleman

Re: Model 1100 Identification, Age and Value

Post by The Rifleman »

As was told in the past to me and to other forum members, we are not here to appraise firearms.

There is no way of determining it's value by its description.

Most Model 1100 Shotguns were all the same, and the owners did what they wanted to them after they bought them to make it the way they wanted it.

It sounds to me as if you dated it correctly and that someone did an aftermarket engraving job and some other work to your gun.

As other forum members has said in the past, you cannot always go by the barrel markings, because barrels can be interchanged.

Low serial numbers has no bearing on that particular guns value - because some of the earlier models had problems that was fixed in later versions.

Model 1100's are collected by trap / wingshooters that uses them for competition purposes and also hunters that uses them for everyday use.

Unless it is a marked model, such as a DU - Ducks Unlimited, or other such collectors item - it is not worth anything more than a plain old Model 1100.

There are plenty of fancy grade models out there.

Insure it for $500 and use it like you would any other gun in your collection.
aviator7836

Post by aviator7836 »

Thank you for your reply and again I did not mean to insult anyone or interfere with the forum by asking for a value. More importantly I was trying to make heads or tails of a gun that I did not know the pedigree of and that had some very conflicting characteristics. I appreciate your response very much and assumed about what you told me.

The gun is in such perfect condition I hate to shoot it yet what else would I have it for?? I had shot it for trap 17+ years ago and have not used it since. The gunsmiths at the very good local shop I took it to yesterday said they had never seen such a nice 1100 which may be saying absolutely nothing from a monetary standpoint but we all like to own beautiful and good shooting guns. Like pretty cars and women they are sure nice to have around but just try getting rid of one without it costing you an arma and a leg...hahaha.

So...thanks again for your response and of course I am open to anyone else's thoughts if they have anything to add.

Cheers,

Doug
djrubei

Post by djrubei »

Hi all,

Im not askin for value but i want to know how old my gun is... I have a remington 1100 tournament skeet which i bought a year ago. what are the markings on the gun that i can look out for to identify its birthday?
aviator7836

Post by aviator7836 »

Hello djrubei,

If you root around the Society site here you will find an excellent article by a former empoyee of the Remington company on the history of the Model 1100's production run and many of the changes they made along the way...this may help you bring your gun to within at least a range of dates. In addition, elsewhere on he site here there is a sheet that explains the receiver and barrel markings that should help you pin down a more exact date of production. However, in my case it seems that my 1100 was highly customized and while the reciever has an extraordinarily low serial number, the barrel was replaced with a newer one many years later. Also confounding my identification is that it appears that a customized (albeit beautiful) stock was added to mine so all in all my particular 1100 does not fall into any of the neat buckets described in the 1100 history article here on the RSA site.

Do a quick search around the main RSA site and you should be able to find the two references I have refered to above.

Good luck,

Doug
djrubei

Post by djrubei »

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the reply. Im new here. Will search around. My knowledge of weapons are limited as i come from Singapore and there are very strict laws abt weapons here. I hope to learn and find out what else I can about my remington 1100.

Thanks!
aviator7836

Post by aviator7836 »

Sorry I was a little short on time yesterday and could not go looking for the information I had referenced on manufacturing dates and history. Here is the link to the manufacturing date information, the link for which is located right on the Remington Society homepage:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

The article on collecting the Model 1100 is also here on the RSA site and can be found at:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/journals/1100

I hope this information proves to be helpful to you. As I mentioned in my original posts to this string, my particular gun does no fit neatly into any of the descriptions but it is still a beautiful shotgun in absolutely perfect condition so who cares? :)

Good luck with your research and be sure not to run afoul of the firearms laws in Singapore...they take them rather seriously :)

Regards,

Doug
djrubei

Post by djrubei »

Thanks Doug.... I have no worries abt it in Singapore. Laws are strict but just remember to follow them. I have valid license for my guns and my purpose here is like everyone else... finding out how to maintain it and learn abt it.
djrubei

Post by djrubei »

The gun no. reads N676981V.

The links u gave me confuse me a little... but i think the gun was made in 1993 right?
rem141

Post by rem141 »

The N prefix was used 1978 thru 1984. Since your number is about 6/10 of the way to 1,000,000, I would guess 1981. Read the section marked Manufacture dates or codes on this website to find the exact month and year the gun was made provided it has the original barrel.