M-700 BDL Clip Conversion...Is it worth the hassle?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rogersdan007

M-700 BDL Clip Conversion...Is it worth the hassle?

Post by rogersdan007 »

I have a M-700 BDL Custom Deluxe .30-06 and I'm thinking about installing a clip conversion. Cabela's offers a "Kwik-Klip" kit for $79.99, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this kit or others like it and if it is really worth it for use on a hunting rifle? Please let me know your opinion!!! Thanks for looking
remington600

Re: M-700 BDL Clip Conversion...Is it worth the hassle?

Post by remington600 »

Honestly why? Why would you really need a clip for it. Are you really shooting that many times while hunting and that quickley that you would need to carry a couple clips worth. Just my opinion all you should need are a couple shots anything more than that take the 79.00 and buy more ammo and practice. You will have alot more fun with the 79.00 in ammo than loading a 79.00 clip. Plus I dont believe in altering things. If you really want a clip trade yours in for a Remington with a detachable clip already made. Our if you have the money keep yours and go buy one. Just an opinion!
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

rogersdan007 wrote:...if it is really worth it for use on a hunting rifle? Please let me know your opinion!!!
I been doing this since 1958 or so and except for some time in the Army don't recall needing three shots with a rifle, let alone five, let alone a quick-change clip.

Besides, after you take your shot and lose sight of your game for some reason, the wise course is to smoke a bowl of pipe tobacco before going to look so as to prevent the animal from thinking it's being chased. There's plenty of time to reload before proceeding. ;)
remington600

Post by remington600 »

:o AMEN!!!!!!!
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

I am surprised that the advantages of a removable magazine have not been considered. It provides an easy and safe way to clear a rifle and protect ammunition. In the east, small wood lots are ouften driven by groups of hunters that move from lot to lot. A removable magazine makes it easy to load and unload when moving in a vehicle. It helps to protect the ammo from dirt or deformation from being cycled through a firearm (possibly ejected to the ground). If you do get into a multi shot situation (rare) they are handy. In the end, you have to make the choice. I just didn't want this to be a one sided. There have been many models of firearms made with removable magazines that have captured the harts of hunters just because of the above reasons.
Bob Smalser

Post by Bob Smalser »

shot1too wrote:I am surprised that the advantages of a removable magazine have not been considered.
While I agree box magazines have their place, you can accomplish pretty much the same thing in a bolt gun by popping the floorplate.

If I had a requirement to reload quickly like for National Match competition, milling in a clip slot ala this '03 is simpler than converting to a box magazine. 7.62mm surplus stripper clips for the M14 work for a surprising number of calibers.

That said, Brownell's has other inexpensive options:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... 01&s=43981
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If your in a situation where your ammo is getting dirty your clip will also get dirty. Keep your items clean. Keep shooting safley. And be sure you get a good shot and practice practice. Every animal deserves a quick clean kill. And those of you that need a clip just so you know you can unload and load again quickley just to shoot again let me know where your hunting so I dont go there.
charliew

Post by charliew »

Advantages of a removable magazine are:
1. not needing to handle the cartridges so much, keeping the cartridges cleaner
2. chamber remains cleaner from not using multiple handled cartridges
3.more organized way to reload while watching game or target
4. the cartridges don't get dinged up from handling and being cycled through the action
5. I prefer extra magazine in a belt case to the cartridges being in a belt or plastic holder or in the pocket with lint all over them or on a belt exposed to the open enviorment.

Disavantages:
1. loose the magazine and use the gun single shot
2. the cost of a second magazine, never only rely on having one in the field
3. cost, usually a removable magazine gun will cost more

I like a removable magazine gun more. I own more without removable mag. than with. My second gun was a 243 700 ADL with a 2/7 widefield redfield new for 202.00 from Kmart in about 1974. I already had my first gun, a 308 BLR Browning with a removable mag. I then realized why the BDL cost more. It was easier to use and load and unload, and maybe had more bling. At the time I couldn't afford the BDL. I still have both but now I use a Model 7 7mm08 and I would like it better with a removable mag. When I use it in the stand, I raise the bolt bring it back, and push the cartridge down, I close the bolt when a target appears. The procedure would be the same on either until the hunt is over and then if you haven't loaded the chamber you just drop the mag. and leave the bolt open and your done. With the floor plate, as with the mod 7,you dump the cartridges hopefully some where clean and put them back in the box. With the closed mag. well you are cycling the bolt, turning the gun over, dumping the shell, 3 or 4 times, handling each cartridge. Not the best way, but it's been done many times and will continue to be as long as there are shooters. I have a Model 7 Full Stock Custom Shop 257 that I wish also had the detachable mag. I think it should have came with it but it didn't. I didn't order it myself so maybe it could be ordered that way. I do have a 700 243 Mountain Rifle that does have the detachable mag. And it's really neat. How important is it? The mountain rifle is longer than the model 7 so the model 7 is easier to manipulate and is a 7mm08 (my favorite calib.) so the mountain rifle has yet to be used. To me ideally the first gun I bought in 1971, the Browning lever action 308 removable magazine gun is the best texas stand gun I own. I would still be using it if it was a 7mm08.

Charliew
VNV26

Post by VNV26 »

This paricular modification could prove to be well worth the hassel should our streets and country roads become challenged by armed invaders. :mrgreen:
JES
VNV26

Post by VNV26 »

This paricular modification could prove to be well worth the hassel should our streets and country roads become challenged by armed invaders. :mrgreen:
JES
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If ammo is as delicate as delicate as charlie says how can they handle being shot. Now dont get me wrong keeping ammo clean and dry is the best you can do, but he makes them sound like precious eggs. Just try to unload that clip at the end of the hunt without handling them. Its just everyones opinion. Life would be very boring if we all liked the same thing.
charliew

Post by charliew »

Delicate to me is a relative term. I don't unload my magazines till the end of Feburary when the season is over and sometimes never if I'm hog hunting.
Charliew