Best 700 Private Collection?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
tdr2758

Best 700 Private Collection?

Post by tdr2758 »

I was wondering who might have the nations best 700 collection- from your view. Buster Keeton, and Kenneth Krug are the few that I know of that had really nice stuff. I cant forget John Lacy- but I don't know him personally. Tell us what you think- and why. Thanks, John.
shot1too

Re: Best 700 Private Collection?

Post by shot1too »

In my opinion, you will never know where the best 700 collections are. Collectors in that class are normaly quite low profile people. The way things are today, I don't blame them. This is the same reason why I would never post a name on this forum or anyother forum without the person's permission. In other words I think this question is not appropriate. Private collections should remain private unless the owner wants to make it known. If you are lucky enough to see a nice private collection, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! You might be putting someone in harms way.
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I have to agree with Shot1too.

I had a neighbor in Brockway PA, some 25 years ago that had a very large collection of guns.

But as my story went, he reloaded also and his house burned down and he blew up with the house.

A collection is just that, a collection.

Some people collect cars and other people collect baseball cards and other people collect guns.

A Roberto Clemente rookie card, that I might have put into the spokes of my bicycle wheel, might be worth $500 today to the right person.

Who knows how many of them they made and how many of them were thrown in the garbage. Kids buys baseball cards for the gum, not for the baseball cards.

Rifle owners buys guns for guns, not to have the largest collection in the world!
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="The Rifleman"]

But as my story went, he reloaded also and his house burned down and he blew up with the house.
[/quote]

He must have used black powder??? I have had [i]discussions[/i] with my spouse for many years about the dangers of smokeless powder. My position is that the half-full five gallon gas can in the garage poses much more fire & explosion danger than my smokeless powder.

[b]I am not advising this,[/b][u][/u] but I have seen cans of smokeless powder that the owner needed to dispose of (because of uncertain identity) dumped in snake trails, then lit. The flame and smoke just winds along like a firecracker fuse. I would not attempt the same trick with gasoline. Black powder can be an entirely different story.