1969 Model 700

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
fknipfer

1969 Model 700

Post by fknipfer »

I have a 1969 Remington Model 700 .243 Win that has been shot very little. It was in the gunsafe for at least 10yrs no shoot. I decide to take it to the range and work it a little. To my surprise I had to take a plastic mallet to the bolt handle to get it open. Everything must have gelled up inside the bolt so I took it to a gunsmith to clean it out and check everything. barrel is excellent and no rust. Here is my question: Some Remington owners I know keep telling me that the 1969 Model 700 is of better quality the the current ones, I don't see how but I thought I would ask this question on this board?

I am considering buying a .308 Model 700 but if it is not as good a quality as the 1969 maybe I should just re-barrel the .243 to a .308. It seems to me the only thing I would have to do is put a new barrel and reset the headspace on the rifle. I don't have any use for the .243 as you can see I have had the rifle since 1969 and haven't fired it over 5 to 6 times and never hunted it. So which is the best way to get a .308, rebarrel the .243 or buy a new one?

Cheers.
fknipfer
NRA Life Member
Own 7600, 870, 700 and proud of them.
I'm not a collector I am a gun accumlator
US Army Veternan
remington600

Re: 1969 Model 700

Post by remington600 »

The 1969 models are the same actions as the ones before it or the ones after it. There maybe slight appearance changes but nothing thats going to make one better than the next. My opinion dont rebarrel it. All thats going to happen is messing up a good gun. 308s are everywhere. For the price of rebarreling it you can just about buy a used 1969 model 700 in the 308. Me personally I wouldnt even buy a 308. There is alot better calibers out there, but this is just an opinion. On one 700 being better than the currant one. I think the earlier ones are alot nicer than the new ones. They have much better bluing and better wood, but again thats appearance. I may not agree with calibers but you have a nice rifle. Leave it alone and just buy another.