help identify old Remington Pump action .22 long rifle

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
bullmer

help identify old Remington Pump action .22 long rifle

Post by bullmer »

Right before my father passed away he handed me down my grandfathers 22 rifle. For the last 8 years this rifle has been in the corner of my closet collecting dust. My wife, children and I just recently bought a new house and I pulled the rifle out and was hoping to get some information on it's value. I do not want to sell I just want to know the monetary value and any other info I might collect.

As I said this is a Remington pump action .22 long rifle, the barrel is octagon in shape. Just beyond the rear sights on top of the barrel is stamped the following,
REMINGTON ARMS COMPANY, ILION,N.Y,U.S.A
PEDERSEN'S PATENTSJANY51909,OTHER PATENTS PENDING

The only other means of identification is some numbers in front of the trigger guard, they are 54777 with what looks like the initials stamped R.W above that.
John Gyde

Re: help identify old Remington Pump action .22 long rifle

Post by John Gyde »

You have a Model 12-C made in late 1910 or early 1911. The RW stands for Remington Works and was on all of the early model 12s. Over 800,000 Model 12s were made between 1909 and 1936 so they are not scarce. Value depends on condition which you did not mention. The Blue Book of Gun Values will give you values for M/12s (and most any other guns) in varying degrees of condition. Enjoy your heirloom...