Noob question on Model 81 rear sight

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gun Toting Monkeyboy

Noob question on Model 81 rear sight

Post by Gun Toting Monkeyboy »

Hey there. I am looking for a windage adjustable rear sight. I need something that will fit in the existing holes, as mine has not been attacked by hacksaw Bubba and his kitchen table gunsmithing. Nor do I plan to put any extra holes in it. Does anybody have any ideas? The only things I have found so far are the williams peep sight that requires 2 holes drilled into the side of the receiver. Thanks in advance,
-Mb
Tbury

Re: Noob question on Model 81 rear sight

Post by Tbury »

I am not sure about Mdl 81s but I have seen a receiver sight (williams or lyman or somebody else) that mounts on the screw hole at the back of the receiver where Lyman and Marbles Peep sights mount. As to where to get one, try ebay or gunbroker, but be prepared to pay a hefty price the peep sights bring over $100. But then a new marbles peep for a Winchester or marlin runs $120 so I guess it is not that far off. As far as I know no one makes sights for this model any more. :(
Mountaineers are always Free
35Rem

Re: Noob question on Model 81 rear sight

Post by 35Rem »

There are windage adjustable rear sights, but as you realize, this will require holes.
The front sight is dovetailed (normally) and that is where you should adjust windage.

Also, check out
http://thegreatmdl8.proboards79.com/
there is a section on sights alone.