What kind of stock finish for Model 12 CS ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nyatii

What kind of stock finish for Model 12 CS ?

Post by nyatii »

I have a Model 12 CS serial # 633XXX. I'm trying to duplicate the original finish. Does anyone know what I could use to accomplish this task? And will I need to stain the wood, or will the finsh be of right color once it is on the wood. Thanks in advance. Jim V.
Noel

Re: What kind of stock finish for Model 12 CS ?

Post by Noel »

Jim, welcome to the forum!

From the ones I have seen so far only two have had lighter colored stocks. It seems like most have the darker tones to them. You can try dabbing a bit of stain under the butt plate to get an idea of what you'd end up with. I have always liked to use the Watco products for staining. Do a search around the auction sites to get an idea of the color but dark walnut stain is a classy finish.

Your little gem will loose value refinishing it but I am sure you already know that. Anymore I try to keep them just the way they come. But I love character. :wink:

Hope this helps,
Noel
nyatii

Post by nyatii »

Thanks Noel. I'm only refinishing the stock as it was stripped 20 years ago. The forearm and everything else is not being touched. I'm trying to match the forearm. I'm not sure what to use for the finish. Did they use varnish back then, lacquor, or what?

The blueing is really pretty good, and looks like new under the feed tube, however, the guy I got it from years ago hadn't taken care of it so there are a lot of minor blemishes on the metal. The bore is pristine and it doesn't look like it was shot much.

Jim V.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

Most of the old Rem stocks I have seen had a varnish finish on them (somebody correct me if I am wrong). Varnish on an old gun with often have small chips out of the finish which makes it easy to detect. Oil finishes tend to just wear down or scratch without chipping. If you are trying to restore to as near an old finish as possible you might want to send your question to the remington tech people on their web sight (http://www.remington.com). If you just want to have a good durable finish I recommend Tru-oil. It is easy to use and you can get pretty near to any finish you want from dull to high gloss. One trick is to wet the wood with water after removing all the old finish. This will be close to what the color after oil finish will look like.
Mountaineers are always Free
Noel

Post by Noel »

The finish (what's left) on my 12C appears to have been high gloss. So is the original finish on my Model 8 and 14. I am sure they are all the same. Check out the refinish thread that is on this forum too, it may prove very helpful to you.

Best,
Noel
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Judging from one that I have that is well worn, but clearly not refinished, I am fairly certain that the closest product now available is shellac. You can get amber colored Bullseye shellac at Lowes (or maybe it was Home Depot, I forget). You can also get shellac flakes on the web. I bought some garnet colored flakes online a while back but have forgotten where. (No, I dont forget everything). Once you have used shellac, you will readily recognize it in the future. Shellac looks much darker at an angle than it does straight on. It traps light between the inner and outer surfaces, much like fiber optics. Otherwise, it looks a lot like oil. Learning to apply shellac takes some experimentation. I prefer to dilute and spray it. The main thing to remember is to put it on in thin coats. If it goes on too heavy, it will develop a skin that will seal solvent under the surface. The underlying finish will then take a looooong time to dry. The reason you dont see original finish on most of those old guns is because shellac doesnt hold up well. Even if not abused, it degrades over time. So, if you see one that has a nice shiny finish, it was almost surely redone, and most likely in oil, and more often than not by someone that recently discovered Homer Formby products and sandpaper.