31TC question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
kpp80202

31TC question

Post by kpp80202 »

A buddy has a 31TC for sale that looks to be in great, original shape. Has a 30" (I believe) full choke vent rib barrel. The bluing is between 90% and 95% (closer to 95%), and it has great wood (fantastic figure) and the extension forearm. The bluing loss is from normal wear, including the forearm's extension rubbing on the receiver. It has a few dings on the trigger guard and loading gate area. Action locks up tight, and is as smooth as glass. The only thing off is that the pad is a ventilated Pachmayr or some similar modern one rather than the old red Hawkins. I assume that's because the old one got hard or cracked up or something. It appears the stock was not cut, as the LOP is a hair long for me (guessing it is close to 15" with the pad). I'd like to use it for informal trap. Now for my questions:

Will having the wrong pad affect value and collectability much?
Is $625 a decent price these days for a 31TC in this condition? (I think the blue book puts the price at $575 for 90% and $675 for 95%).

Thanks.
The Rifleman

Re: 31TC question

Post by The Rifleman »

This forum is not for appraisal values of firearms, but rather as a place of information about new and used Remington firearms.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

The forum can also give a little friendly advice as well. Instead of taking the time to shut your question down I took my energy and time to do a little research. From the price you gave it does seem to be at the top of its value. You say its in good shape so it up to you if you have the money and want to spewnd it. Changing the pad will decrease the value a little bit. If it is poorly installed it will decrease it even more. For what you say your going to use it for I think there are better buys out there, but if your wanting the nostalgic part of it go for it. Its a Remington you can't go wrong. As for others that send in value questions send them to the forum and I am sure some respectable person will give you as much help as they can.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The Rifleman wrote:This forum is not for appraisal values of firearms, but rather as a place of information about new and used Remington firearms.
There's nothing in the rules that say it can't be done on the forums. I believe however everyone recognizes it's a difficult thing to do without without gun in hand or much better then ballpark with good pictures.
kpp80202

Post by kpp80202 »

Thanks everyone for the advice. For what it's worth, I wasn't looking for an appraisal or anything, just an idea where this would fall in the ballpark. For example, I know with Colt Pythons, the bluebook is way off (low), and is not any guide at all with regard to actual sales. So it looks like it could be a fair deal. The jury's still out on whether it makes sense, whether I should stick with my Auto-5, or go with an 1100 or 391 or something more modern. Still, these old Remmy's are gorgeous!