Share your Factory Checkered 721/722 Photos?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
HeWhoHunts

Share your Factory Checkered 721/722 Photos?

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Remington sent me information that:
it must be kept in mind that checkering patterns do change, within a grading, from year-to-year sometimes
The "issue" of "factory checkered or not" is oftened discussed, argued, etc etc.

I thought all of us could SHARE photos of what WE THINK was factory checkered in Remington 721s and 722s.

MY interest is post B grade rifles(the BDLs from supposedly after 1955) but I'm sure lots of you have AC or B grade checkering questions too so let's include them all?

KEEP IN MIND, Remington's "model history" isnt CARVED IN STONE. I have seen several instances that a version or model (including 700s) has an assembly code months either way of the "manufacture dates". I don't think in the 50s they just started or stopped production EXACTLY on Jan 1!!!

If you look at the "model history" for both 721 and 722, both have "approximately 118,000" manufactured and both have the same "serial number blocks".

Contacts with Remington, on several occasions, repeatedly told me "their serial number database doesn't go back that far".

In other words, all info on these fine old rifles is not recorded, so manufacture dates, number made, checkering issues.........are up for grabs as far as "exactly" anything.

I thought we could bridge the gap a bit comparing photos, at least on the "upgraded" versions.

NOT a thread to argue, PLEASE? I know others beside myself would like to see your checkererd 721 or 722 to compare........I hope. lol

722 in 222mag. No sling swivels. Obviously upgraded wood and still researching the checkering. Dif from the "B" grades but made after B grades were no longer made (at least by Remington's info) and BDLs were......so, looking for other BDLS from post 1958 for myself, but PLEASE POST any 721 or 722 you have in factory checkering with as much info as you have on it.

My own personal thanks to those of you that will share.
SKR

Last edited by HeWhoHunts on Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rem725

Re: Share your Factory Checkered 721/722 Photos?

Post by Rem725 »

I have seen very few checkered 721 and 722 rifles.
Last edited by Rem725 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Thanks for those. yes..........those are what I have seen in the B grades myself and while not COMMON, there are some around......FEW and far between!!

Until last year I wasnt even aware there WAS another checkered upgraded stock grain version, other than the B grade" that was made later on. Knowing the difference in ADL and BDL in 700s, I didnt think that a 722 BDL would be a LOT different than the others, or exactly what the difference was. (Still learning.)

I would IMAGINE that they would be classified by some, as "transition" models.......but just a guess at this point.

I've yet to see ANY 222mags that had the classic barrel "hump" and dovetailed rear sight. Not saying there WASNT one but all Ive seen have the straight tapered barrel (no hump) and screw on rear sight(not dovetailed)....regardless of grade, and the 222mags, again by Remingtons info, didnt come out till 1958.

PERSONALLY , I'm looking for SEVERAL photos of guns with assembly codes from 1958 and later with checkering to just compare but again, please post your photos of rifles you have or a friend have, regardless of age.

I'd like this thread to be for all the checkered versions, regardless of my own personal wish to see the later ones.

I have a VERY similar post card. Christmas edition, lol.

It's going to be a struggle and take time to find some made AFTER the B grades and why Im looking for several that the owner will share a general time frame made and photos and can confirm it was made in the last of the 50s.

I KNOW, to any future readers, that MINE is NOT a B grade and do not expect checkering to match those that are but instead I am looking for POST B GRADE examples, for myself, but still want to see YOUR B grades as well.
I asked a similar question to several via email and got replies "No, that's not a B grade".......and that didn't answer any question I submitted since I was aware of that.

That is why I started this thread. I only hope to see BDL 722s made after 1958 and of course all your B grades to drool about as well!!

No offense intended to anyone......please.

I appreciate the help
Steve
lowgun

Post by lowgun »

I wouldn't be too quick to pronounce some of these guns, especially yours, as "not factory". No custom maker would use that wonderful wood and then shape the pistol grip area into the ugly undefined flare behind the cap area. It is easy to take a factory standard stock and checker it, but it is not easy to make a standard stock into a highly figured piece of wood.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

This may be of interest, I noticed in the 1952 catalog a picture of a Model 721AC, which is a standard 721 with checkering similar to the 721B. Also offered a Model 722AC. These are not special order, the write-up says look for them at your dealer today.
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Thanks Lowgun and Rem141.

Lowgun, that is MY opinion on that particular rifle myself. IF NOT factory..just HOW did an obviously high grade, obviously original stock get out of Remington NOT being checkered?

As Rem141 said, and I too had see this, the AC model was available in the early 50s but they did NOT have nice grain. I've seen a grand total of ONE so far......at least that I thought was and AC. Straight grain and checkering like a B grade.

I like this 222mag of mine but it's almost impossible for me to find a way to verify that it is factory checkering.

Especially being made in the "BDL" era of 722s that of the LATE 50s.

I'm still hoping, in time, to find other that can be posted here made in 1959 or so.

Thanks again for your input......ALL is appreciated!!
Steve
remington600

Post by remington600 »

My guess your checkering doesn't look factory, but if you like it who cares. What are the barrel stampings. Could it be a employee sale gun. On the figured wood subject. It maybe a lot prettier then most, but it doesn't always mean its B grade wood. As a kid I remember going to gun stores with my father to buy a new Remington. He would ask the guy behind the counter to bring out the entire inventory of the particular rifle he was buying because they would all look completely differant. Some had better grain. Some had better color, and he would pick out his favorite. I have some early rifles still new in the box that are standard grade that you would think have high grade stocks. Sometimes you just luck into those.
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

Anything could be true, I'm just going by comparing a couple hundred 722s Ive seen.

It's barrel code is for March 1960, supposedly 3 months after BDLs were made

http://www.remington.com/library/histor ... el_722.asp

I do,however, know that models did NOT start and stop Jan of the year indicated. I've seen literally dozens of examples made within 6-8 months of the "years of manufacture" and can only refer back to the info above from Remington that "their serial number database doesn't go back that far".

With that info in mind, and from others I've seen I take all that info "with a grain of salt" and use it in generalities. I've owned 700 Classics made mid 1977 and 700s in 280 caliber from years Remington said they didnt make any.

All info were sent to Remington and they confirmed that both left the factory in that condition but dates of manufacture indicated none existed or were made that year.

The 222mag 722 supposedly came out in 58 and the BDLs supposedly ended in 59. Three months prior to or after that time period doesnt surprise me a lot either way.

You're comment that it isnt REALLY important if I like the gun.......IS ACCURATE, however I do LIKE TO KNOW what I have in my collection.

I simply thought this information may be of interest to someone else and perhaps several postings of several rifles from the era could clear up some things.

thanks for your help in this matter. I do appreciate it!

Steve
remington600

Post by remington600 »

I may. I will have to check when I get a chance. I may have beginning and ending serial numbers for the 721s and the 722s within my files. It may also have how many of each caliber and when they say each caliber was made and ended. Like you said take it with a grain of salt. Having a limited production model classic in a caliber made a year that the caliber was not made seems a little strange, but haveing a standard 700 made in a caliber in a year that it was not suppose to be made doesn't suprise me. Sometimes I think data comes out without enough research. I guess unlike you and I and a lot of RSA members some people think it really doesn't matter and they throw the info out there.
Gene Myszkowski

Post by Gene Myszkowski »

The 1950 Remington High Grade Catalog had the following M722 in "F" grade black & white photo. I have included a close up shot.

Gene
Attachments
M722F1A.jpg
M722F1A.jpg (36.57 KiB) Viewed 6468 times
M722F1.jpg
M722F1.jpg (42.3 KiB) Viewed 6469 times
HeWhoHunts

Post by HeWhoHunts »

DANG...........wouldn't THAT be a find???

thanks for that. I always wondered what the REALLY high grades looked like!

Not like Ill ever find one or be able to afford it. LOL

Steve
remington600

Post by remington600 »

If you checkout Cabelas gun library page. Under fine rifles they have a F-grade Remington 721. Lots of photos if interested.