725 Bolt Breakdown

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Sno White

725 Bolt Breakdown

Post by Sno White »

How does one break down the bolt to a 725? The reason I am asking is I occasionally get a brass filing lodged between the ejection pin and its hole. It can be cleared in the field by simply pushing the pin down below the level of the hole. I would like to see if there is anything more down in that hole. Plus after 45 plus years it may be a good thing to do a through cleaning.

I have the original paperwork and there is no mention of disassembly.

Rick
Rem725

Re: 725 Bolt Breakdown

Post by Rem725 »

Since it is occasional, Break the edge of the ejector plunger that leads into the scraping of brass. If your brass case heads have a scrape mark regularly, your are a bit tight on headspace, or are using too hot a load, or are not sizing your cases down enough.
Or
If the ejector plunger moves freely and strongly, and can be pushed slightly below the bolt face, leave it alone. If the plunger does not sink enough, you will have to fix that. The crosspin is often very tight. Behind the plunger is a coil spring and after all the years maybe an accumulation of gunk/rust keeping it from moving properly. A good soak/flush of penetrating oil and repeated working might free it up.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
Sno White

Re: 725 Bolt Breakdown

Post by Sno White »

Thanks 725,

Since I shot up all the 35 year old reloaded ammo and started using some new brass it has stopped. I also did do a good soaking and continue to do so with each cleaning.

I plan on using the new brass and start reloading. My understanding is the 725 has a 22" barrel and all the reloading specs I have seen so far are referenced to a 24" barrel. Do you know if it makes much of a difference? Of course I will have to go through the paces and experiment with loads.

Do any of you have any opinions of what works best in your 725’s. I will most likely be shooting 150 & 165gr bullets.