513 trigger adjust

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
remingtondan

513 trigger adjust

Post by remingtondan »

No matter which way I turn the two adjustment screws, I can't get the pull under 6 pounds. HELP?
Rich/WIS

Re: 513 trigger adjust

Post by Rich/WIS »

The trigger on the 513T is a bit tricky, and it cannot be set very low, 2.5 to 3 pounds is about it without some gunsmithing. Before going to a gunsmith it might be a good idea to check a few things first. If you haven't taken it apart and cleaned it completely it may have a lot of gunk and dried oil in it. The trigger spring and plunger in particular need to be removed, cleaned and lubed. Also check the sear screw, it can be overtightened. It is the staked screw, tighten fully and then back of a half turn and restake. If too tight it will bind the sear and make the trigger very heavy. The front screw in the bottom will increase the pull, the rear controls overtravel. You can increase the pull, but once the scew is no longer in contact with the trigger any lightening will require stoning and polishing the sear and its contact point on the firing pin. It is also possible that the trigger springis not original and was replaced with one from a different 5teen model. The other models had a stronger trigger spring. A quick fix would be to shorten the trigger spring and then use the trigger adjustment scew to increase pull if you overdo the shortening. Replacement springs and sears are available from Numrich.
remingtondan

Re: 513 trigger adjust

Post by remingtondan »

Thanks Rich/WIS. I'm fairly certain the gun has not been tampered with, and I have thoroughly cleaned all the parts. This is my second 513, the previous having an acceptable trigger, but unfortunately it got wrapped around a tree along with me. I was never certain what, exactly, the two screws adjusted. I think this one will need a trip to a gunsmith. Despite the heavy pull, I still manage some pleasing, one hole groups now and then. The best so far has been five shots at 50 yards into a hole measuring .32 with Eley Club Extra which it seems to like. I think a better trigger would go a long way towrd helping me get groups like that more consistently...Dan