760 Gamemaster .30-06

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Jason W.

760 Gamemaster .30-06

Post by Jason W. »

I have inherited a 760 Gamemaster from my grandfather. I'd like to know the year it was made. I think this particular rifle was made in the 1950's because of the serial number. Remington says these models began production in 1951 starting with serial number 1,000 and ending with number 541,000 in 1967. This rifle's serial number is 49231.

The rifle has a pivot mount Weaver K3 scope. Everything on the rifle looks original, but I am not a firearms collector or expert. Can someone tell me the year this rifle was made?

I appreciate your help.
ken blauch

Post by ken blauch »

Jason, looks like your rifle was made in 1952. If you give us the three letters that appear on the barrel, left side, near the receiver, we can give you the month and year of manufacture. The letters may be DYY or something like that.
Jason W.

Re: 760

Post by Jason W. »

ken blauch wrote:Jason, looks like your rifle was made in 1952. If you give us the three letters that appear on the barrel, left side, near the receiver, we can give you the month and year of manufacture. The letters may be DYY or something like that.
That is exactly what the barrel has, a small "D" and then a "Y" and another "Y" and then what looks like a cross: DYY+

On the right hand side of the barrel, near the reciever, are three more stamps: "R.E.P." and then another symbol that I can't really explain, and then what looks like a three-leaf clover stamp.

Thank you very much for your help Ken.

Re: 760

Post by Guest »

Jason W. wrote:
ken blauch wrote:Jason, looks like your rifle was made in 1952. If you give us the three letters that appear on the barrel, left side, near the receiver, we can give you the month and year of manufacture. The letters may be DYY or something like that.
That is exactly what the barrel has, a small "D" and then a "Y" and another "Y" and then what looks like a cross: DYY+

On the right hand side of the barrel, near the reciever, are three more stamps: "R.E.P." and then another symbol that I can't really explain, and then what looks like a three-leaf clover stamp.

Thank you very much for your help Ken.
Actually, that might be a four leaf clover stamp... Thanks again!
ken blauch

Post by ken blauch »

Jason, the "D" means September and the "YY" means 1952, the"+" is the inspectors mark. The other marks are for proof test, assemblers mark etc. So your gun was completed and ready to be shipped in Sept 1952.
Jason W.

Post by Jason W. »

Thank you for your help Ken.

I'm looking forward to firing this rifle. I don't think it has been shot since the 1960's. My grandfather died in 1977 and he loved to hunt, but he was not as found of deer hunting as he was of bird hunting. I also inherited a 16 guage bird gun that looks like it got way more use than this rifle, it too is a Remington. One thing is for sure, this rifle is in beautiful condition.

One more question: do you think the scope is a factory option? That is, was the Weaver K3 installed by Remington?
ken blauch

Post by ken blauch »

Jason, The first 760s were not drilled and tapped to accept scopes. That was started somewhere in 1953-54 and even then scope mounting was not an advertised option. So I believe your gun was modified by a gunsmith rather than by the factory.
Jason W.

Post by Jason W. »

Ok, thanks for all your help Ken!
kevin

760 game master serial no. 5367

Post by kevin »

I traded a wood stove for this gun. Can you tell me anything about the gun, I believe it is one of the first production models, but am also interested in it's current value. Thanks a lot, I enjoy reading your forum!
ken blauch

Post by ken blauch »

We should have a little more info on your rifle. S/n 5367 was certainly a first year production gun. The condition and the caliber of your gun determine the value. The first year only 4 calibers were made, the 30-06 is the one we see the most and thus is a bit less valuable. The date code on your gun should be "YY" for the year part (1952) and maybe a "B or L" for the month, LYY would be Feb 1952. The older Model 760 in fine to excellent condition in a common caliber would sell here in Pa. for 350-500 at a gun shop. The really hot calibers came later, 257,244,222,280 and 223, these are in a price range of 700-1300 in this area. The carbines and deluxe models are a bit higher priced than the standard rifle and then the high grades are very scarce and expensive. If you post the date code we will give you month/year of manufacture. ken
Monstermudder78

Post by Monstermudder78 »

Soryy to dig up an old post, but I was just given a Remington 760 that ws my grandfathers and this is the most helpful post I have found. The gun is a 30-06 w/ serial # 14940, AYY is stamped in the barrel, with what looks like a Q above the AYY. It has an unknown brand pivot mount scope mounted on it. If anyone can help out with the month/year of manufacture or at least point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
rem141

Post by rem141 »

MM78, Your 760 was made in March 1952, a first year model, the A stands for March, the YY for 1952. These first year 760s were not drilled and tapped for scopes. Over 1 million 760s were made 1952-1980.
Monstermudder78

Post by Monstermudder78 »

Thank you much for the help, it is really appreciated.
edward

Re: 760 Gamemaster .30-06

Post by edward »

i recently bought a remington 760 gamemaster and thought i could figure out some stuff about it by reading this forum but mine has different markings my serial number is 423131 and the code on the left of the barrel is upl 33 n e one know what year this was made or anything else about it thanks
rem141

Re: 760 Gamemaster .30-06

Post by rem141 »

Edward, the code is pl which equates to June 1964, the other marks are done during the manufacturing process to indicate completion of various steps. Your rifle should have a stock and forearm with what I call pressed checkering, a type that was used on 760s from 1964 thru 1967. It is the third type of dressing used on the stocks following the grooved forend and the 5 diamond checkering. The pressed checkering is collected by some 760 shooters. Your rifle was drilled and tapped for a scope at the factory. About 45,000 of this type were made in 30-06.

Ken Blauch (Rem141) . [/b]