Model 700 Question

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
VNV26

Model 700 Question

Post by VNV26 »

Model 700 Question

Sirs,

I acquired another neglected 700 which apparently had never been cleaned. After a lot of labor i've the bore shining bright and shoots just fine. I have removed the iron sights and mounted an old Weaver V-9. My question is the stock configuration. The stock is of unknown compound which is a dark red visible in the pistol grip. It has a black sprayed on finish. The comb is straight and high making the iron sights almost impossible to use. When the stock was molded steel studs were placed crossing sling openings both front and back. Using this great forums dating codes, manufacture is placed September 1991. My question is was this a factory model of the time or a replacement. Any input on origin would as always be appreciated.

vnv26
JES
remington600

Re: Model 700 Question

Post by remington600 »

Post a picture. Its hard to use my imagination on this one.
VNV26

Post by VNV26 »

Remington 600

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately I have no pic capability. I suppose if I gave up tobacco, gun powder, and buying my girl friend Salmon Fillets I could afford to enter the digital world in my 60th year. Of course then I would have to find a magic potion to stimulate the gray matter between my ears and behind my dimming eyeballs.
Back to this STOCK mystery. The checkering is identical to my first 700 ADL which I purchased at age 16 in 30-06 NEW and filled the family freezer with ELK meat from a young BULL. The only pictures I've seen of a stock like this are the NAM era sniper models that REMINGTON made for my dear uncle. The main stock comb is straight yet high. The previous abusive owner put numourous chips in the coating revealing a deep red color. The barrel is 22" and not oversized.
I've retired my first 700 which I refineshed the stock and inlaid the young BULLS ivory. If I can limp out in the woods and managed to carry this black beast which weigh's over 8lb. I will try to slay some venison and convince my girl friend the steaks are exotic dark salmon.
Any clues to the origin of this rifle would be appreciated.
JES
k15

Post by k15 »

vnv26,

I have a similar stock and _ have been told_that's its an 1980's vintage Bell & Carlson and they were made of fiberglass. Mine is Green colored in full sun and turns Black when taken into a shaded area.
A regular type swivel connector is just in front of the sling depression on the front end and just behind the depression on the rear. The entire barreled action is bedded in that sprayed material that covers the stock from the receiver tang to the tip of the fore-end. The sprayed stock covering is rough to the touch.

Hope this help's.

Like to hear more about that Nam stock your Uncle used.

k15
VNV26

Post by VNV26 »

k15

Thanks for the reply on this gunstock. I burned up 40 rounds this week at the range and this stock is a comfortable shoot.
My reference to Uncle was SAM. I saw some stocks similiar on the first 700's. My buddy Frank Walters was issued one in sniper school but didn't have the oppurtunity to put it to work. He was killed in his first gunfight but killed 15 hardcore communist with his m16 before he took the hit. He was a great patriot and proud young fighting man. Awarded the Silver Star. Airborne Ranger all the way.
JES
k15

Post by k15 »

vnv26,

Sorry to hear about your friend Frank, it’s always a terrible loss to lose a true patroit. Good to hear that you’ve had the opportunity to try yours out, were you able to hold good groups after cleaning? Must have been cold on the range this time of year. Did you use factory ammo or did you load up your own ? The rifle I obtained was an old 7.62 40X repeater (April of 89 vintage)that was bedded in that questionable stock. It had no sights whatsoever so I haven’t been able to try it out. Thinking about mounting one of my old Redfields on it but I need to get a rail and mounts; I proably have everything , it’s just that I have stuff squirled away.

k15
VNV26

Post by VNV26 »

k15

Frank was a good one and so were the other 16 Fallen in my Company.
I have been experimenting with Factory loads. Remington, Federal, and Hornady. The Hornady rounds shoot tighter at 100.
I used dual dovetail rings and bases manufatured by leupold. The scope is a Weaver V-9 steel case. The day I shot was one of those Indian Summer days, an exception. Currently ICE STORM severe no shooting for a while. Best of Luck with yours, Redfields are great I have one on my 721.
JES