1100 20 ga. receiver date of manufacture

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
pslc

1100 20 ga. receiver date of manufacture

Post by pslc »

I have a Remington 1100, 20 guage (with no barrel), the serial number is M402597X and I need to know the date of manufacture so I know wether I need the post 77 type barrel or pre 77 type barrel. The Remington 09 catalog has a note in the barrel specs section about this. thanks to all who can help. plsc
Virginian

Re: 1100 20 ga. receiver date of manufacture

Post by Virginian »

The 'X' at the end of the serial number tells you that this is a 'Standard' size receiver, as opposed to the later "LW" and "LT" lightweight receivers. Thus you need a "Standard Weight" barrel. The 1977 date is not a hard and fast guide, because Remington was making standards and lightweights at the same time for a while there. Also, all the lightweight versions I have ever seen had either LW20 or LT20 on the receivers.
What could have happened... did.
pslc

Post by pslc »

Virginian wrote:The 'X' at the end of the serial number tells you that this is a 'Standard' size receiver, as opposed to the later "LW" and "LT" lightweight receivers. Thus you need a "Standard Weight" barrel. The 1977 date is not a hard and fast guide, because Remington was making standards and lightweights at the same time for a while there. Also, all the lightweight versions I have ever seen had either LW20 or LT20 on the receivers.
Thank you sir for your information, I am having difficulty finding any standard weight barrels. I have tried the general sources I know of: PA Gun Parts, Brownells, Numrich, Jack First etc. Do you have any other sources I might check. I am looking for just a 26" ribbed and threaded barrel and possibly a rifled slug barrel if they were available then. Thanks
Virginian

Post by Virginian »

If you find one threaded for choke tubes, it means someone had it done aftermarket, because Remington quit making these before the age of RemChokes if I remember right. They are expensive because they are somewhat rare, and a lot of target shooters prefer the heavier 20 gauge guns. Try these.
www.corsonsbarrels.com
www.barrelexchange.com
www.gunsamerica.com
www.gunbroker.com
What could have happened... did.