Model 29 Identification-Information

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Feeblemeister

Model 29 Identification-Information

Post by Feeblemeister »

Hello.
I am new to your site and forum. Very interesting site and since I own quite a few Remingtons I know I will find lots of interesting items here.

A couple of years ago I was given a beautiful dark blue pump action shotgun. The only markings are on the barrel and under the receiver.

Serial # under receiver is U 27674.
On the barrel is Remington Arms Co. Ilion NY USA, beneath that is Patents Feb 3, 1903 May 8, 1905.
On the left side of barrel near the receiver is "FULL".
On the right side of the barrel near the receiver is an oval with the letters "RP" inside the oval.
On the right side of the barrel near the receiver a little lower is the serial number without the U, 27674.

I am fairly certain this is a late Model 29. They only made 38,000 per Remington. They offered the shotgun in 8 different grades. This shotgun has the deepest cold steel bluing that I have ever seen and is truly a sight to behold. A few questions:

1. How do I autheticate the shotgun as a Model 29?
2. How do I determine the grade?
3. I have not disassembled the shotgun, not really certain as to the proper procedure?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Feeblemeister
rem141

Re: Model 29 Identification-Information

Post by rem141 »

Post a picture, you may have a Model 10.
Researcher

Re: Model 29 Identification-Information

Post by Researcher »

Sounds more like you have a very early Remington Repeating Shotgun. If the company name is in fact Remington Arms Co. Which it was through 1910, that is what you have. Some of the period catalogue also call the Remington Repeating Gun the Model 1908. By the time the Model 29 came along, the company name Remington Arms Co., Inc., 1920 and later. The Company name was Remington Arms--Union Metallic Cartridge Co. from 1911 to 1920, and it was during that period that they began calling their pump gun the No. 10.