Rolling Block info needed

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
klausg

Rolling Block info needed

Post by klausg »

I am very much a neophyte to the Rolling Block game. I recently purchased a saddle ring carbine in 7mm, (however I don't have my hands on it yet). I'm assuming that is 7X57mm, however I would like to re-barrel the weapon, I am more interested in "modern" calibers, as opposed to BPCR. Of course, I will need to have the action checked by a gunsmith, but perhaps you guys could give me some suggestions or possibly a pressure limit for the action. I am thinking that since it was made in 7X57mm; it should be able to handle .30-40 Krag, I am wondering if I can use .405 Win or .375 Win? Also, is there a web site where I could look at ballistics for the BPCR calibers? As you may be able to guess I'm interested in the .40 caliber range. Thanks much in advance for your time & effort.

-SSG Klaus
klausg

Post by klausg »

I've finally got my hands on the weapon, and was hoping someone could help me with ID/dating. The tang reads, "REMINGTON ARMS CO. // ILION, N.Y. U.S.A. // PATENTED OCTR 22nd 1901, (slashes indicate seperate lines). On top of the reciever is a serial # (?) of 22208, stamped. Approximately 8" back from the muzzle it is stamped "CAL 7MM". The only other markings I can find are on the under side of the barrel at the reciever. There is a long horizontal dash that almost connects to a stylized 'P' (possibly a 'D') the 'P' has a 'tail' on it that continues down and loops back to the left ending with what looks like a fish hook barb. There is an approx 3/16" hole bored approx 1/16" deep at this point. There is the remnant of another dash intersecting this hole, followed by a 'Y', (maybe a'V'), and finally a 2. The buttstock has the number '710', appears to have been put in with a nail, (the 7 is European style with a dash). above that is a '2d' that was done a little better. There are also a set of initials 'GC' carved, (not very well), into the buttstock. It is a carbine, barrel length is approx 20" and there is a saddle ring. Any help I could get with the identification and or dating would be greatly appreciated; thanks much.

-SSG Klaus
mwhite95337

your new rifle

Post by mwhite95337 »

You have a nice one. This model is one of the few with enough meat on top of the reciever to allow you to mill the top and sides into an octagon if you want. I am building one up right now. Green Mountain barrels can be purchased at a great discount from Track of the Wolf at http://www.trackofthewolf.com/popUps/po ... T-45-T6-35. This barrel retails for $275 at green mountain and track sells it for $220. Take a look at there site. I am doing mine up in 45-90. Treebone Carving is doing the stock for me. Ken Womack can supply most parts at a very reasonable price and then try KEBELCO for swede parts, hammers, blocks et will fit.
Mike
mhwhite
Floop

Post by Floop »

My rifle is now at Delta Gun Shop in Colville, WA where Jim Dubell is installing a .357 Mag barrel liner and chambering the rifle for .357 Mag. Jim can fit just about any liner, which saves your original barrel's appearance and features. Another alternative Jim offers is reboring your old barrel to a larger caliber (if possible). That's a bit cheaper than a liner installation (about $350 versus $400).

When Jim's done with the barrel work I'll fit new wood from TreeBone Carving, then send it back for blueing the barrel and case coloring everything else. Total cost of all of this work and parts will be around $750. A typical Pedersoli repro of this rifle is not only butt-ugly, but costs around $2500.00.

You can find Delta Gun Shop and TreeBone Carving on line.
Floop
Floop

Re: Rolling Block info needed

Post by Floop »

I got the rifle back from Jim Dubell and it is very sweet...

Floop
blazinsun69

Post by blazinsun69 »

I suspect that my rolling block carbine is a cheap knock-off... it is un marked except for ... 44-40 WCF... sights appear to be changed and no saddle ring... anyone have any ideas about it?
I am new here...tried to upload pix of carbine... no joy.. but do have pix on Flickr under ( desertsun69 ) if anyone cares to look at them... or could send pix to anyone personally... would like to know about the weapon.
ehull

Post by ehull »

To blazinsun69-
Suggest that you start a new question, rather than tagging along on this open one which few people will follow.
.22-5-40

Post by .22-5-40 »

Hello, Klausg. Be careful with that 7mm rolling block! There has been quite a bit of discussion on these over on the ASSRA site about them being chambered for the same common 7x57 ctg. There has been talk that it was a bit different in dimensions and pressure. I have read where these have been fired with the std. 7x57 & held together ok, but ctg. would only re-enter chamber same orentation it was fired in, as it was now stretched & case head not square to body..not too good! I see you like the .40's? So do I! I have 3! an original No.1 in .40-50bn. (1 9/16") a very accurate little case by the way., a Lone Star custom in .40-70b.n. (2 1/4") , and my latest find, an original pistol gripped sporter with British proofs in .40-70 straight (21/2"). If I were you, I would stick with the older rounds.