Remington 725 Bolt Rifle - .222 Caliber

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nemetad

Remington 725 Bolt Rifle - .222 Caliber

Post by nemetad »

I want to buy this gun off my Aunt (Unlcle died recently) at a fair price to us both. Gun has scope mounted (don't know what kind) seems old. Gun in fair condition and has some light rusting. What is a fair value on this gun?

Also, don't laugh, my Aunt was told the etching (gripping) on the stock was hand made and thus worth more. Any possibility to this?

I'm a total gun neopyhte but I'm trying to learn.

Thx-
goordnance

Post by goordnance »

From you're description, it's probably only worth 3-500, depending a lot on how much you want it. There was one on AA recently for over 8-900 but it was like new. The scope won't add much unless it's unique, like a good Unertl, and the checkering was factory standard on all 725's which doesn't in itself lend much to the value. With light rust that I could buff out. a good bore and decent wood, I'd give my aunt 400 for my uncles 725 and feel we both got a reasonable deal. I can't confirm if the checkering is hand cut or not, I've not read anywhere that it is, but of the ones I've seen, it appears to be hand cut as opposed to machine cut. Hope this helps.
Crew Dawg

Post by Crew Dawg »

I just bought a 49' model 721 in 30-06. She is in great shape with about 98% wood and metal finish. I was happy to pay a hair over 400. I am not a fan personaly of the 725. The barrels just look too stubby compaired to the stock for my taste. I have seen some of the 725s with checkering,but am not sure if it was factory or not. Things done to guns by previous owners do not normaly increase value. Scopes usualy dont affect the price of a rifle because resale is low. But all said and done, they are good solid rifles. Besides a decent scope will run you at least a hundred bucks. So i would not feel robbed giving her as much as 450.00