Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rsv1rem

.30 Remington cartridge

Post by rsv1rem »

Still available? Effectivness? Costly? Thanks
Walt Shipman

.30 Remington cartridge`

Post by Walt Shipman »

The factory quit making .30 Remington in about 1997. I understand that there is still unprimed brass out there to be had. I found new boxes of cartridges for several years in gunshops and hardware stores, some not marked up any beyond their original price. I bought (buy) all I could. I am sure that there is some hardware store out there which still has $15 boxes sitting on it's shelf. That has about dried up around here. The cartridge is about as effective as .30-30 wcf. Most of the ammo I see now for sale at gunshows runs about $35-40 a box. So...still available? Yes, in small quantities and at a price (usually). I have a little Lee Loader in .30 Remington and keep running the same 50-60 cases through it. I have a couple of hundred rounds of factory. So with that and my reloading my Remington Model 8 is pretty much taken care of.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Thanks Walt, I have recently taken a fancy to the model 14 Remington, but I enjoy shooting all of my rifles and the model 14 would not be an exception. Perhaps the model 14 in .35 Remington would be the better choice? Thanks again - Bob
Walt Shipman

.30 Remington

Post by Walt Shipman »

You know...., I wouldn't totally give up on the .30 Remington. Now if it was .32 Remington or .25 Remington, those would be a more complicated matter because they quit loading .32 in 1977 and .25 in the 50s and to make more requires modification of the .30 Remington case. I would give up on .32 and .25 unless I was really into reloading. But, there is enough .30 Rem out there that you can come up with a shootable quantity. On the other hand, like you said, .35 Remington is a much easier choice for shooting. Heck...., Wally Mart carries .35 Remington. But, reloading is at least interesting, if not "fun". The new 6.8 SPC is based on .30 Remington cartridge case. I do not know how production of 6.8 SPC will effect production of .30 Remington cases or ammo.

I would love to have a nice Remington 14 and one of these days when the finances and price come together.....
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Well I found some reloads at Old Western Scrounger for $34.95 a box of 20. I have delt with them before for ammo for my old 1864 Springfield (with the 1866 trap-door conversion), and they are quite reliable. I also have my Son in the Denver area looking in some of those old Rocky Mountain gunstores for original boxes.

Really going to need some soon as a model 14 in .30 Remington is coming home in a week or so. :)
CharlieEcho

30 Remington Newly Made

Post by CharlieEcho »

Hello: I have purchased newly manufactured .30 Remington from a source in OK. Give http://www.reedsammo.com a try. They have two loadings for these old guns.
rsv1rem

Re: 30 Remington Newly Made

Post by rsv1rem »

CharlieEcho wrote:Hello: I have purchased newly manufactured .30 Remington from a source in OK. Give http://www.reedsammo.com a try. They have two loadings for these old guns.
Thanks, checked them out, quite reasonable. Which of the two loads would you prefer in these "elder" Remingtons? Thanks again