What can I do with a 721 receiver?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
awp101

What can I do with a 721 receiver?

Post by awp101 »

Hello!

Earlier this year I picked up a complete 721 action. I was looking to build a rifle and the 721 was the first name brand receiver I ran across at a price I could live with.

Since there is no barrel I have no idea of it's date of birth or the original caliber. The receiver is serialed in the 364XXX range.

The bolt was jeweled (and poorly drilled through the handle in an attempt to "customize it and make it lighter" according to the seller) so any information there has been lost.

Are there any measurements I can take that will help determine it's original caliber?

Also, are there any issues chambering one of these in 7mm RemMag? From what I've read they were available in up to .300H&H (IIRC) but AFAIK the 7RM came out after the Model 700 was introduced.

I'd appreciate any info available because I need to determine if this is going to be a viable project or not. After doing a search here for 721 info it looks like parts are scarce and I'm willing to bet M700 parts won't just drop right in...

Many thanks! :D
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

You can make them into really big brusiers, I have a good friend that builds rifles mostly on 98's but has built a 375 H&H on a 721 action with no troubles.
awp101

Post by awp101 »

Thanks Packmule! :D

I'm trying to decide what to do with it now since my priorities have shifted a bit. I might take it to the next Market Hall show and see if I can use the proceeds to fund another project. :lol:
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

When is Market hall, this month? I live IN DFW go to it all the time, hadn't seen this years list of shows.
awp101

Post by awp101 »

This weekend if I'm not mistaken...
zfleming

Re: What can I do with a 721 receiver?

Post by zfleming »

I'm a bit late with this reply. I purchased a 721 in San Angelo, TX quite a while ago that was originally 300 H & H and then had been rechambered for 300 Weatherby and then abused by hacksawing the barrel to 18 1/2 inches and other neglect. I got this rifle for a song and sent it off to E.R. Shaw in PA to re-barrel to .30-338 and a complete re-blue. It is one of my favorites and very accurate with my handloads.
The Rifleman

Re: What can I do with a 721 receiver?

Post by The Rifleman »

Most 721 Actions are worth in the neighborhood of $250 and are some of the strongest on the market.

The action is worth as much as the whole gun.

A simple measurement of the action length and the bolt length from the lugs back to the bolt handle is about all any good gunsmith would need to determine what action it is.

Most likely - just taking a guess. my guess would be 30/06 - 270, with a bolt from a Model 700. Since most all of those guns were plain jane and did not come with a jeweled bolt.

Because the bolt doesn't match the action, I would also guesstimate that it has lost 50% of its value - due to a miss match of parts.

Probably why you got it so cheap in the first place.