Sportsman 58

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
baseball

Sportsman 58

Post by baseball »

Uncle had this shotgun stuck deep back in his closet. Very weathered and rusty but with a little lubrication, still seems to function mechanically. Can anyone give me any information on this one? Is it worth taking it to get reconditoned?
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

I, too, had an uncle with a Sportsman 58 in 16 gauge. When he died back in '99 my dad inheirited his collection. My dad had no real use for them around the house so he keeps them at my other uncle's house (a big gun buff) next door for safe keeping.

Anyway....

I borrowed a few rifles, a pistol, and a shotgun the other day. The shotgun was the Sportsman. I got to looking around the net for some information. From what I've gathered, it's quite a gun. I found one site that said the author had seen some in poor condition sell for almost $3,000. However, that depends on the grade of your gun. There was:

ADL Deluxe
BDL Deluxe Special
D Tournament
F Premier
SA Skeet
SC Skeet Target
SD Skeet Tournament
SF Skeet Premier
TB Trap Special

I'm not sure which is the most desirable, nor how to tell which is which without a little digging. I do believe, however, that the $3,000 estimate may be a little high since I found another site that quoted in the hundreds (highest was around $700 to $800 in excellent condition).

A little more history of the 58:

-Manufactured from 1956 to 1963
-Approximately 271,000 produced
-Available in 12, 16, and 20 gauge
-Serial numbers ran from 1,000 to 275,000
-Variations: Magnum, 58 TX with sun-grain maple stock, 58 SX with sun-grain maple stock, 58 RSS rifled slug special
-Remington's first gas operated, autoloading shotgun without the Browning-type recoiling action
-Designed by L.R. Crittendon, Phillip R. Haskell, and Ellis W. Hailston