No. 1

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Scooby

No. 1

Post by Scooby »

Have what I believe to be a Remington No. 1 Sporting Rifle in .44 Rimfire.

Ilion,NY,44 on bottom of ~28 in barrel,straight walled chamber,Pat in 1880's

Is this correct? And what would be a value range?

Seems to be in very good original condition from my amateur point of view.

Thanks,Mark
Attachments
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG (81.78 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG (74.54 KiB) Viewed 2890 times
blackhills

Re: No. 1

Post by blackhills »

Hello scooby.What is the serial # range of your rifle? Bob
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Bob,thanks for your reply.

Is the serial# located on the on the bottom of the reciever at the extreme rear in a sort of semi-circle around a screw? (whew!)

If so,it is 7XX.

Mark
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

Hello Mark.I'm no expert on the early guns,but there are some here.You need more pics,sights,barrel markings,patent marks,other possible ser#'s.I believe thats a real early gun in pretty good condition. Bob
roundtop

Post by roundtop »

You have a roundtop sporting rifle, looks to be ok. The serial number should be on the bottom tang near the screw or sometimes on front of receiver, on the bottom of the barrel under the fore end, front of butt stock, under butt plate, back of fore arm and on fore end tip under wood. Your fore tip is the later style but some are known on guns in the 500 & 600 ranges. They normally are smooth and not the schnabel. When you pull off the butt stock there is usually a set of numbers on the left tangs. These numbers should be the same. I am doing ongoing research on these early rifles and I would greatly appreciate knowing the serial number and the tang numbers for my records. You can send them through the society for privacy. The last patents on the tang are 1866. Your rifle was most likely made late in 1871 or early 1872. I hope this helps. Ed
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ed,

Thanks for your intrest and knowledge.

This is a family piece that I recently rediscovered in not perfect storing
conditions.I am completely confident that it is 100% original and with minimal use. The action seems to be tight and crisp,bore shiney ,with a maybe a bit of pitting.The serial # is in the 700 range.

Want to clean it up,and take some more pictures. 0000 steel wool and oil or what is your method.

I am a bit reluctant to disassemble it to clean between metal and wood,but know that I should,all of the screws are 'virgin'.Have the proper gunsmithing screwdrivers,etc and practical experince,military and hunting.

Do you have any disassembly/assembly instructions,tips or links?

I am looking forward to your reply and learning more about this heirloom.

Mark
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

Mark.Clean your rifle as you would a regular hunting rifle.Oily rag no steel wool
any original finish must be preserved.Over the years I have seen too many nice firearms that have been ruined by someone that thinks it should be shiny.
Rust,dings etc. are a part of the history of it.It will never be more valuable than it is right now.They are only original once. Bob