Looking for Information on Rolling Block Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
fordson52

Looking for Information on Rolling Block Rifle

Post by fordson52 »

I have recently acquired a Remington Rolling Block rifle, and would like to learn more about it. It is in "well used" shape - it was owned by a cowboy before ending up in a closet for ~50 years. It came from my wife's family to us and would like to learn more on it's history for our children when they inherit it.
From my investigation on the net, it appears to be a New York State model. There is a stamp on the butt plate that reads "65th REG. S.N.Y." and "J. SETCHELL", farther up the butt it reads "J. SETCHELL" again and the scroll stamp with "H.B.H" inscribed (this stamp is hard to read). The thumb tine on the hammer is quite long, and it seems like you have to recock the hammer after the breech is closed. I took the butt stock off last night and found SN "18520" stamped in two locations hidden by the stock. The barrel is 34½" long. Patent stamps date from 1864 to 187(1?). A "B" is stamped on the breach and the three collars holding the barrel. I measured the muzzel at ½", from what I was able to find the New York models are all .50-70 but I am a long ways from knowing much on these guns. (I'm not an avid gun collector, please excuse my terminology if I'm getting some of this wrong.)
I had a gunsmith clean it and he said it was in shoot-able condition, but to maybe start off with half-loads. Looking for .50-70 Gov ammo is like panning for gold, but I hope to get some brass and get someone who loads their own to make ammo for it.
If anyone could help me out with date of manufacture, confirm that it is a New York model, approx. value, and any other facts on this gun I would greatly appreciate it. There are a couple of photos for reference. Any recommendations on brass would also be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Patent Stamps
Patent Stamps
patents_01.jpg (213.65 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
Right View
Right View
rem_right.jpg (176.31 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
Left View
Left View
rem_left.jpg (251.75 KiB) Viewed 6750 times
vulture

Re: Looking for Information on Rolling Block Rifle

Post by vulture »

I'm no expert on these so I won't go into what I think you have, but as for brass I think you can get what you want from Buffalo Arms, you might also just do a google search for .50-70 brass and see what comes up. I have several rolling block rifles but as of yet haven't been able to afford one of the .50-70's. These seem to be some of the more expensive on the market, and finding one of the NY State rifles in good condition is also a might harder than finding some of the Spanish models in different calibers. Good luck on what you need and I hope you can find someone to load your brass once you get some and some bullets rounded up for it.
fordson52

Post by fordson52 »

An update on the gun; the "SN" I found on the upper and lower tangs under the stock are assembly numbers, not serial numbers. It appears they did not stamp SNs on these guns.
fordson52

Post by fordson52 »

I have a few more questions:

Cleaning Rod Stop: I have found a few references to this item, is this a tool that is separate to the gun, or is it an internal component?

Bayonet: Were bayonets issued with New York State militia rifles?

Combination Tool: Again, were combination tools standard issue with SNY rifles?

Again, I would greatly appreciate if anyone out there can share their rolling block expertise.
blackhills

Post by blackhills »

fordson52.I am no expert but maybe I can help you.The NYS rifles had a cleaning rod that screwed in the frame(the cleaning rod on your rifle is not correct).Others had a stop at the end of the forestock,inletted in the wood.
Bayonets and combination tools were probably issued with all their rifles.The one I have Has a "B" on the socket it is 20 1/2" overall with an 18" blade, there may have been a marking on the blade but is gone now.They are hard to find. Bob
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Some of the socket bayonets also are found with a "H" or "R" stamped on them.
For the standard Remington combination tool, here is a link to the S&S Firearms catalog, see item 314:
http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/2011%2 ... H%20UC.pdf

Hope this helps some,

Matt
fordson52

Post by fordson52 »

Thanks oldremguy, blackhills & vulture for you info, it is greatly appreciated. I will post an update if I ever get this gun shooting again.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here are the markings on one of my NYS Rolling Block rifle bayonets.
P1010220.JPG
P1010220.JPG (57.62 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
P1010221.JPG
P1010221.JPG (60.07 KiB) Viewed 6635 times
To find a NYS bayonet, you have to look at all socket bayonets that don't have US stamped on the blade, then look to see if they have a "B", "H" or "R" stamped on the socket. They tend to be hard to find, but they do turn up now and then.

Good Luck,
Matt
fordson52

Post by fordson52 »

oldremguy,
Thanks for the photos. What is the length of your bayonet? I assume they would have been all generally the same length for NYS.
Rob
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

The New York State Bayonet has a overall length of 20-5/8"
Blade Length: 18"
Socket Length: 2-5/8"
Socket inside diameter: 0.72"

Have a Good day,
Matt
fordson52

Post by fordson52 »

Just wanted to let you know that I finally got some ammo made for my rifle and fired it for the first time tonight! Worked perfect and managed to even hit the target. I received some valuable info and help from an old-gun enthusiast who hunts with a Springfield repo and has a bullet-making business on the side. Thanks again to those who provided comments earlier.
lane47

Post by lane47 »

I have a NY State rifle, no bayonet, but do have a cleaning rod. It is 34" long, and threaded on one end, and a tulip with 7 bands on the other end. You can buy a reproduction cleaning rod for about $40 to $50 depending on the source. I have .50-70 black powder ammunition that I obtained from Buffalo Arms at $61 for a box of 20.
The cleaning rod can be obtained from Kenn Womack who is listed on this site.
Attachments
this is similar to what the tulip end looks like on the cleaning rod.
this is similar to what the tulip end looks like on the cleaning rod.
tulip end2.GIF (7.77 KiB) Viewed 6222 times
ny50/70

Post by ny50/70 »

fordson

Your comments on having to cock the hammer 'twice' are correct.

This was requested by the US Army on their trial run of 50/70's as a safety measure and also used on the NYS models.

It is an easy way to identify them. The US Model will have Springfield on the right side of the action, the NYS does not.

These are fun rifles to shoot.

I got my brass from Track of The Wolf and a friend with a 50/70 trapdoor reloads them for me with smokeless powder. Everyone at the range wants to shoot it. I need to try some with black powder sometime.