Found Gun

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Capt Cabose

Found Gun

Post by Capt Cabose »

Hello.
I was out exploring with a friend of mine and we found a rifle, its really rusted. We have had some people who know about guns look at it and they all agree its a .22 from the 1950 to 1970 time frame. Though no one knows for sure. we used a magnifing glass and found it says Remington 550-1 on the top along with a lot of other smaller numbers and letters that we cannot read. any infromation on a website on where to find out more infromation about the Rifle would be great.
Thanks!
-Chase
22 rifle.jpg
22 rifle.jpg (100.02 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Found Gun

Post by admin »

Autoloading rimfire rifle made around 3/4 of a million of them from 1941-1970.
If you can make out the letters on the left side of the barrel in front of receiver you should be able to date it from Manufacture Dates link on home page.
Needless to say taking steel wool to it, isn't going to hurt the value.
avery53

Post by avery53 »

Now that's a project gun! :D
Capt Cabose

Post by Capt Cabose »

@admin

I used the steel wool lik you said, and I can make out only what looks to be a triangle on the left side and possibaly some other lettes, however their unreadable. On the top there looks to be what my dad thinks in the sereal number, I'm working on being able to read that.

@avery53

That's my goal! Andif I can't get it, it still will look cool on a wall.
Attachments
I haven't toughed this yet. Why is the one part not rusted?
I haven't toughed this yet. Why is the one part not rusted?
2011-08-08 10.50.57.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

it looks like a grooved receiver. If so, it was made in 1951 or later.
Capt Cabose

Post by Capt Cabose »

John Gyde wrote:it looks like a grooved receiver. If so, it was made in 1951 or later.
My good frien says it looks like it was pressed. Th only 2 grooves are on the top and there's a strip of metal inbetween them. Ill put up a picture of it later.
avery53

Post by avery53 »

I think a sandblaster is in order. :lol:
Good luck!

avery
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Wow, name it "Rusty" and hang it on the wall. I would not even attempt a restoration as you could probably buy a working model 550-1 for less than the cost of the parts involved.

If it has a serial number it would be located on the left side of the receiver towards the back. These were only serialized in 1968, '69 and '70. Some maybe in late 1967. The receiver itself is machine grooved.

What's the back story, found in the woods leaning against a tree, stockless so to speak?

BTW that Remington is unique in it's field with an interesting development program and mechanical function.
Capt Cabose

Post by Capt Cabose »

rsv1rem wrote:Wow, name it "Rusty" and hang it on the wall. I would not even attempt a restoration as you could probably buy a working model 550-1 for less than the cost of the parts involved.

If it has a serial number it would be located on the left side of the receiver towards the back. These were only serialized in 1968, '69 and '70. Some maybe in late 1967. The receiver itself is machine grooved.

What's the back story, found in the woods leaning against a tree, stockless so to speak?

BTW that Remington is unique in it's field with an interesting development program and mechanical function.
I think its just goin on my wall as is. And me and my good friend went out biking on on old road. There's part of the road that has a clif nexto it, probly like 80 degres. There's a lottta old cars there from old recks who knows how long ago, probly 10 or so cars. But here was one newer looking one we went to. And bout 20 feet away my friend said he say a crowbar. So I went and picked it us, and it was this gun just how it looks in the picture.

An it looks like the only sereal number looking numbers are on the top of the barrell, bout half way down, infront of where it says Remington 550-1.
My main goal right now is trying to see if it is loaded eather in the chamberor the floating mag.
Attachments
There's the top of the recever.
There's the top of the recever.
2011-08-11 12.09.47.jpg (95.07 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Good thought. You don't want a loaded gun hanging around in any condition. You could give it a penetrating oil soak then lightly tap back on the bolt handle a bit.

Complete disassembly is best by unscrewing the plug on the end of the receiver and removing the action springs and bolt/firing pin. Looks like it may be too rusted to do this though, that plug is threaded.

You should also pull the inner magazine tube (from under the barrel). Chances are it'srusted in place too.

Soak it for several days, but be very careful with it.
Capt Cabose

Post by Capt Cabose »

rsv1rem wrote:Good thought. You don't want a loaded gun hanging around in any condition. You could give it a penetrating oil soak then lightly tap back on the bolt handle a bit.

Complete disassembly is best by unscrewing the plug on the end of the receiver and removing the action springs and bolt/firing pin. Looks like it may be too rusted to do this though, that plug is threaded.

You should also pull the inner magazine tube (from under the barrel). Chances are it'srusted in place too.

Soak it for several days, but be very careful with it.

Yeah everything is rusted in place. Where could I get the stuff to soak it in? Cuz that's wht most people have said to do.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Any hardware store (Home depot/Lowes) or even Walmart will carry penetrating oil most likely in a spray can. Best approach would be to give it to any gunsmith who will remove any cartridge from the chamber and cut the rifle up and toss it in the trash.