Help identify this reciever please. Pics added

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Noel

Help identify this reciever please. Pics added

Post by Noel »

I am not absolutely sure that is what this reciever is. I found it yesterday morning out in the hayfield where the Family's homestead was from 1910-11 until the 30's.

On the bottom of the tang it has an "H" and then further back from that is "936".

It has a tube sticking out of the bottom front that looks like it was a pump action, tube fed rifle but have yet to locate any pictures to confirm.

None the less a very exciting find in the field!

Any help is appreciated.

*EDITED*

Okay, got some pics together. After finding a model 4 on the net and comparing, I am quite sure this is not such a beast. There is no knurled cocking piece on the falling block. The more I look at the tube it looks like a tube fed reciever, but I cannot find any remington .22 that looks like this. The trigger guard looks just like the No.6's though. :?

HELP! :!:
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

Because of it's age, it probably wouldn't say Remington on the reciever.

It might however say Remington on the barrel.

Get a metal detector and go back out and look!

Most people that just threw something away would have only went to the junk pile and gave it a good toss. If it was lost while hunting or while it was being carried in a scabbard on a saddle with a horse = then you would know the rest of the story.

Most people long time ago didn't buy Remingtons - as .22 rifles, especially farm people. People that had to make a dollar go as far as possible bought Savage, Stevens and Westernfield and Mossbergs.
picuda

old receiver

Post by picuda »

This receiver is from a 'Stevens Visible Loader', Model No. 70 pump action rifle. They were made from 1907 to the early 1930's. They are neat to cycle in that the feeding and ejecting happens aft of the barrel breech in plain view. Mine is marked for 22 s, l, lr ammo. It is fun to shoot. One caution however, the hammer will take a chunk out of the skin web between the thumb and index finger if you arent careful!! Mine is marked on the lower tang with an 'L' followed by the numbers 348.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Rifleman,
Dad is going back to turn the field once again and then we will grid the area and use a metal detector this time.

picuda nailed it with the model too. Thanks Man! 8) Now to just find one that is intact and usable.

I was all messed up seeing as my Gramma's family had only used Remington No. 6's that I had pictures of anyway.
The loading tube for the tube magazine had me confused tho.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. :wink:

Best regards,
Noel
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

I called it and Picuda confirmed it, Unless you have one in your gun rack that you tore apart a million times - you wouldn't be able to make a good guesstimate because of all the missing pieces.

So maybe someone from your family was out hunting and missed something and took a hunk of skin off when they cocked or cycled the gun and they got mad and threw it as far as they could.

Plus, back in the day - it was not uncommon for other people to come over and hunt on your property. There were no posted signs and people were trying to make a living off their land and welcomed hunters that would kill what was eating their crops. Not like today = where people want everything for themselves and posted signs are more popular than Mail Pouch Barns in the 1940's!
Noel

Post by Noel »

Seeings as it was found within 50 yards of where the house used to be I am hazarding a guess it was just worn out and my gun nut Uncle salvaged what parts he could for it and tossed the action out the door for whatever reason. We'll never know. With the takedown screw gone as well as the tang screws I don't think it was merely forgotten leaning against the tree. At any rate it is still a really nice find along with a few spent casings we found, 25Rem, 32Spl, 38-55.

I think I posted these already, but here is Uncle Leif in 1945 with his model 14:

And his 12A in 1932:
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Hi Noel, Yes, that is indeed a "Miserable Loader" action. Nasty little rifles all. Stevens made them from about 1907 thru 1920 when they "merged" with Savage, Savage added their logo to the left side and continued production thru 1934, later Savage models featured a longer octagon barrel and a pistol grip. Attached a picture of a few in my collection. Top rifle is the later pistol grip model.

Noel

Post by Noel »

I will be guessing that is scarcasm seeing as you have so many of the awful things. :lol:

Thanks for posting that picture. I wish I knew which one to look for but don't think I can get too picky. Never have seen a single one in Canada.

The extractors are different too, were they beefed up in later years then?

Thanks very much,
Noel
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Yes, they went through a number of "improvements" over the years. Your right, those are just extractors, there are no ejectors. Ejection was dependent on the next round coming up and forcing the fired case up and out.

Some are jam-o-matics, but if you find a good one it can be a great pleasure to shoot, there are no others like it. However the Remington model 12 and the Stevens model 3 or the same era shame it for smooth operation.

One of mine is number H3 stamped on the lower tang. That's actually an assembly number according to the Stevens/Savage historian, not a serial number, but I still use it as such.

I enjoyed your pictures and your family histories. I really enjoy pictures of dug up relics. I hope that you find a working model 70, they can be facinating. Stevens also made a model 71 LR, a 72 LR (just the sights are different) and a model 72 1/2 in short only. I have at least one of each.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Thanks rsv1rem! I take great pride in the items I found at the homestead.
I have a pile more to show if you like. I guess it is my own thread I would be curbing so as to not get anyone upset with me. :lol:

How about this for a start, this is Uncle Leif as a young boy.
These are Remington No. 6's are they not? :?

Here he is again, headed for the trapline. No idea why he's doing it in the late spring? I cannot tell if this is a Steven's favorite or the Remington 6 again. picture is in bad shape.

This one is 1945. My favorite of him. Pretty hard to tell what the rifle is:

I found Leif's hunting license for 1933 in the attic also. 8) In a notebook he had with his "traps" I found him buying 41 Swiss ammunition as well during the same year. I have alot of guns to find to get the "heirloom stash" back to full. :D

Noel
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

More great pictures, I’m sure the regular posters here enjoy them also. Owl and Moose, and looks like a dog? Setter of sort in the lower right hand corner of the “trapline” photo, could be just a shadow.

I don’t own a model 6 Remington but maybe someone with an educated opinion will chime in. I do have a collection of Swiss military rifles though and among them is a 130 + year old Vetterli that is chambered in .41 Swiss (10.4mm), a rimfire cartridge with a slow speed but great hitting power. I have several cartridges but I haven’t shot it yet fearing duds and the loss of a collectable bit of ammunition. Some enthusiasts have converted their Vetterlies over to center-fire and use .348 Winchester brass for reloads.

Vetterli is top rifle in picture -maybe you can recognize it from the past.

Noel

Post by Noel »

You are very correct with the dog in the picture. I never did ask Gramma what it's name was. She's been gone since 03.

Looks like a grand specimen of a Vetterli! :P If I did get one, I would certainly consider reworking the bolt to use the 348 Win brass. I guess I would be looking at learning how to cast boolits too, a big learning curve for sure but to shoot a Deer on the homestead with such a piece would be very exciting! I hope to correctly identify the rifles eventually and then try to find a shootable example of each. It will make for a pretty neat collection. 8)

Thanks for posting your pictures! Anyone else is welcome to post theirs as well. :wink:

Noel
Noel

Post by Noel »

rsv1rem wrote:More great pictures, I’m sure the regular posters here enjoy them also. Owl and Moose, and looks like a dog? Setter of sort in the lower right hand corner of the “trapline” photo, could be just a shadow.

I don’t own a model 6 Remington but maybe someone with an educated opinion will chime in. I do have a collection of Swiss military rifles though and among them is a 130 + year old Vetterli that is chambered in .41 Swiss (10.4mm), a rimfire cartridge with a slow speed but great hitting power. I have several cartridges but I haven’t shot it yet fearing duds and the loss of a collectable bit of ammunition. Some enthusiasts have converted their Vetterlies over to center-fire and use .348 Winchester brass for reloads.

Vetterli is top rifle in picture -maybe you can recognize it from the past.

Well I have some good news. No I didn't get a Miserable loader...yet! :wink: But I did find a Vetterli. It is a an 1871, pretty good shape save for the barrel being cut 3" back. I cannot complain for the price I paid. Boy does this thing shoot too!

rsv1rem, you have to try 20-22gr of SR4759 under a 310gr GC boolit!
My first shot for group went .720" at 50 yds with iron sights and at 100 yards I am getting 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" groups consistantly. Velocity is right on the nose of 1400fps with 22 grains when loaded to the 2.200" COL

The whitetails at home are in deep doo doo.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

That is great shooting, it must have been converted to centerfire. I rebuilt the cutback stock once on a Vetterli, returned it to factory specs, but redoing a shortened barrel is another matter. Here is a great site to discuss Vetterlis and other Swiss rifles.

http://p092.ezboard.com/fcollectorguns35625frm1

Lot's of talk about conversions there. I'll be looking for you. Best regards - Bob
cprodave

Stevens Visible Loader

Post by cprodave »

I'm repairing an old Stevens Visible Loader that was given to my 86year-old father by his even older friend (whose eyesight was failing and the poor old guy thought it was a BB gun! No kidding!). The gun appears to be in good functional condition except the firing pin is Broken. (The firing pin is a 1/4inch diameter cylinder 1.25inches long and appears to have the front edge "post" or "pin" broken off.) I found a Firing Pin on GunParts Inc website for about $20--so far, so good. What other part do I need to keep the FiringPin "captured" in the BreechBlock? i.e. the Firing Pin falls out of the BreechBlock. Is there some other part that retains the FiringPin in-place. I'm trying to avoid 2 separate orders to GunParts Inc--1 to order the schematic/FiringPin, and then a 2nd order to get the "whatchamacallit" piece to hold the FiringPin in the Block. What is the real name of the whatchamacallit piece?

If I can get this old piece operational again, I do plan to shoot it only with CB Caps (per some good input I found on this forum).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I work thisproject with my (otherwise uninterested in my shooting hobby) 17yr old son. He thinks this gun is "way cool".
Dave C