Help identify this reciever please. Pics added

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hopefully rsv1rem can help you Dave. I am sad to say the only V.L. I have located so far is a clunker at best and is missing many pieces including the firing pin and the whatchamacallit. :roll: It has been dry fired so many times the hammer has mashed the breech block so it will either be a wall hanger or used as parts for a good one if I find one.

Nice to hear your son has some interest in the classics. Perhaps the "genre" of your firearms needs to be changed from say plastic synthetic to old school wood and blued metal. :)

If I find any info I will try to let you know.
Noel
Last edited by Noel on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

I believe the "whatchamacallit" you refer to is the carrier, it's the "L" shaped? piece just below the breech block. There is also a pin that holds the carrier and the firing pin in place. All three pieces - the carrier, firing pin and retaining pin are shown in the photo. It's a fiddle to get the whole thing back together, you must assemble everything, hold your mouth right then drive the pin in while holding everything with your third hand.

And Noel, Great name for this time of year, I enjoyed your added pictures of your "dug" V/L. Best regards - Bob

BTW, a good site to post about Stevens is the Savage forum of

http://www.rimfirecentral.com

Noel

Post by Noel »

[quote="rsv1rem"]
And Noel, Great name for this time of year, I enjoyed your added pictures of your "dug" V/L. Best regards - Bob

You have no idea how much I got bugged in school. I was am still am a shy little bugger. :roll: The "Noel" [Nowelle] you refer to would be the other pronounciation of the name, mine is just plain [Nowell]. :wink:

My family must have found it amusing as they named my cousin Noelle. Good thing we were hardly around eachother or we'd have never known who they were calling!

When you are ready to part with one of your V.S.'s let me know. I think I know where there would be a very safe home for one! LOL 8)
cprodave

Visible Loader help--thanks!

Post by cprodave »

Noel and Bob, thanks for the info. Bob, the photo was especially helpful. I'm pretty sure I understand which part you're indicating as the Carrier--in the Numrich/GunPart on-line catalog I believe it is called a Lifter with p/n 707850. Unfortunately (if I am "mapping" to the correct GunParts p/n) they are Out Of Stock right now. Do I have the right p/n and/or do you know of any other companies that might have the parts I need to restore this old beauty? BTW I'll try to include a photo or 2 when I get a chance. Also, there is a gun show near my home in Raleigh NC and I may take this gun over to the show to browse/talk a while this weekend.

thanks for all the help!
Dave C
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Yes, Lifter and carrier describe the same part. Try here:

http://www.gun-parts.com/savagerifle/

I see he has V/L parts but does not list a lifter, however he says call for additional parts. You might also try ebay, Auction Arms, and GunBroker. I sold all of my V/L parts on eaby some time ago, but you may get lucky there.

Yes, post pictures. Best regards - Bob
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

Found one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/J-STEVENS-VISIBLE-L ... dZViewItem

But you have to really want it as it's in with a lot of other V/L parts, and there is less than 10 hours left on the auction.
cprodave

Visible Loader parts.

Post by cprodave »

Bob, thanks for the info on Bob'sGunShop--the eBay box-of-parts was a lot more stuff than I needed. I sent an e-mail to Bob's--will see what shakes out. Thanks again. DaveC
Dave C
Greg T

Re: Help identify this reciever please. Pics added

Post by Greg T »

Hey Noel! Nice photos! Also wondering if the copy of the Remington Model 14 manual got to you yet? Mailed on Dec. 4th. No ideal how long it should take from Wisconsin.
Greg T.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Hello Greg!

I haven't recieved any items in the mail, one would think it should have arrived by now. Perhaps the mailman's canoe got froze in the river on his way west and he had to make camp. I will let you know the instant it does. :wink:

Cheers!
Noel
Greg T

Post by Greg T »

One way or another I will get you that manual. It's only 12 pages long. Maybe I can photgraph it and get it on FotoTime. If you enlarge it as a photo, it is very readable. I will experiment a bit. Someone told me that shipping anything to a Canada other than a regular size envelope will take a month. Now I believe it!
Greg
Noel

Post by Noel »

It's no rush Greg. I have the rifle all apart looking for other grief as it still refuses to feed but I have lots of other toys to play with. Deep down I am really hoping to just find another gun in better shape and then either pawn this one off to a more experienced Remmy nut or keep it as a parts gun.

Give it awhile longer and we will see what happens. Sure appreciate your help! :wink:
Best,
Noel

***Edited***

Stop the press, guess what was in the mail this afternoon! :o :shock: :P
Could it be? Yes it is your manual Greg! 8) It had been opened and tapped shut again. It wasn't delivered by the RCMP so I guess we are safe. LOL :mrgreen:
After reading through first cause of grief looks to be the cartridge stop not protruding enough to take the pressure off the cartridge being loaded into the chamber from the one in front of it. Looks like it could be something to do with the carrier, follower, mag tube. The list goes on.....

This will hopefully aid in finding a remedy for coyote season. Cheers Greg, I will keep you posted on the origonal feeding grief thread. :wink:
Noel
Noel

Post by Noel »

Well I think I found the problem now. Upon putting the firearm back together I noticed there is not Cartridge stop(?) :? There is a dust cover held by a small screw in the front of the reciever that seals off the top of the mag tube as it slides in and out of the reciever. This cover also hides a small recess milled into the reciever that looks like a little part should sit in there with maybe a spring behind it. Also the cartridge carrier seems to have a groove cut in the off side top to match the same place.

The exploded views of the gun are not clear to me as to what the part should look like. I am off to Numrich to see if I can find something. This should be an utter joy to get up here! :roll:

Anyone have some ahem...."old tractor parts" they can send me? LOL

This seems to make sense as to why it won't feed. The bullet is held tight against the cartridge in front of it by the tension of the follower spring, not to mention holding it in all different angles with the twisted mag tube. No wonder it cannot lift it with any sort of repeatability.

Noel
Greg T

Post by Greg T »

Noel! Congrats! You just may have it!
Greg T.