Remington 510-P

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
dick_tracy1953

Remington 510-P

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

I have two Remington 510-P's in my collection. The earlier "1941" dated rifle receiver is not grooved for scope rings, however, the "1948" dated one is set up that way and it would appear to be factory original. Two questions: are WWII dated rifles more desirable and was the change over towards scope rifles common within a model design. It seems odd for a peep sighted rifle to also be set up for scope shooting but my guess is that Remington used the same receiver for more than one model.
rsv1rem

Post by rsv1rem »

My 510P (code OH July '39) is a first year rifle and naturally is not grooved. These were made to about 1962 and the later years were grooved. I'm guessing they just used the grooved receivers on all models when the changeover occured. Simple way to tell is if it's drilled and tapped (must be) for the peep sight, and has a nicely relieved stock. 1948 sounds early for grooved receivers, but I have no information to the contrary. I always prefer a rifle made prior to 1950.

I am building a 550-2G (.22 short only -gallery model) that will have a grooved 550-1 receiver which is as much of a contradiction as your 510-P. I have decided to place a note in the stock that says something like - "Hey, this didn't come from the factory this way." before someone thinks they found a real oddity. :)
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The M/510 did not have a grooved receiver until the "X" models were introduced in 1964. Grooved receivers were phased in beginning in the mid-1950s on the M/511 & 512. Remington probably used the non-grooved receivers on hand for the 510 and used the new, grooved ones for the repeaters.

I prefer pre-war rifles, but I doubt that there is much, if any value difference.
dick_tracy1953

Well that is odd..

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

John Gyde: The one Remington 510-P that I own does have a grooved receiver with the barrel marked B TT (code dated for Jan 1948). If you are correct then what I must have is an older barrel on a late receiver or did I misunderstand what you posted. There also seems to be an additional stamping on the barrel that could be an "X" or not. Do the "X" Models have this kind of stamping.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

It does sound like you have an older barrel and a newer receiver. It is also possible that someone had the receiver grooved by a gunsmith. The "X" Models are quite distinctive with slimmer barrels and "Nylon" type sights. There weren't any "P" versions of the "X" models. The Model names on the barrel of the "X" Models were 510-X, 511-X, etc.
dick_tracy1953

Thank you!

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

John Gyde, thank you very much for being so helpful in my education about the Remington 510-P.
Last edited by dick_tracy1953 on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rem513

Post by rem513 »

I think this must be the same one I saw at cabela's in sidney it does have aremington prof mark
John Wilson

Re: Remington 510-P

Post by John Wilson »

Love those Remington 5teens. I have a 510 that I thought was a 510X, but the model number on the barrel is 510, and date code Nov, 1948 EXX. Problem is, mine has a checkered stock exactly like the 513 sporter, and a chrome trigger and bolt handle? ALso, my receiver is grooved. ANyone have any idea what I have, do you think it is one someone put together? I got it because it had the nicest wood I had ever seen on the 510 series.
http://render-2.snapfish.com/render2/is ... 50,590,391
dick_tracy1953

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

Last week at the gun show a fella from Iowa showed me how to change out the barrels on these old rifles. He is going to locate a non grooved receiver so I can make my 510-P correct. One thing that he did say is that there should be no head spacing issues because these are rimmed cartridges. Please chime in on this one if you disagree.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

You can definatley have head spacing problems with a rimmed cartridge.
Tbury

Post by Tbury »

The barrel has to be screwed in to the right headspace in order for the firing pin to have a firm contact with the primer rim and cause ignition.
Mountaineers are always Free
loner5667

Post by loner5667 »

Tbury wrote:The barrel has to be screwed in to the right headspace in order for the firing pin to have a firm contact with the primer rim and cause ignition.
The 5-teen series barrels were pressed in and then cross pinned with two steel pins on the bottom. If the bolt doesn't sit far enough forward on the new breech face, you will end up with a face full of blow back....ask me how I know. You could set the barrel to the right head space with a go/no go and glue with lock-tite green for cylinders or the lock-tite black never to be removed again. Then you don't need the pins anymore.