What scope is on your model 721?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rob-o

What scope is on your model 721?

Post by rob-o »

Im shopping for a scope for my Model 721. Im curious as to what brand and power scope you guys are using on your Model 721?
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

I never used more than a Leupold 3-9 on general hunting rifles. Target and long range varminters is another situation.
Years ago I only had Lyman Alaskan 2.5 power scopes. Probably took more game with them than any other.
One bit of advice on the variable scope. Don't watch a herd of blacktail deer approach down the ridgeback with 9 power set on the scope. Then when the game comes close to 20 yards away and you forget to lower the power, all you see is hair and cannot pick your target and they all get away. Don't ask how I know this.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

My dad's wore a Weaver 4K for years.

One year for Christmas, I replaced it with a Bushnell 3 x 9 x 40

A model 721 was not much of a gun, other than it had a very strong action and was easily converted to wildcat calibers with not much more than a reamer or a barrel change.

Why were model 721's used that way? Because they were cheap!

If you bought a new 721 in 1956 - you might have spent $49.00

A model 70 Winchester was probably $70!

Now the same Model 70 is probably worth $500 - $5000 depending on model and caliber.

Where as the same Model 721 Remington might - and I say might be worth $350!

The corporate world back then thought that all you had to do was undersell the competition and sooner or later - they will go out of buisness and then you can charge what ever you want for your product.

It took Remington 100 years to put Winchester out of buisness with that tatic.

As soon as Winchester went out of buisness, Remington raised their retail price on their product as much as $100 a gun!

That doubled the value of the Winchester and killed the value of a Remington.

The only other thing that keeps the price of a new Remington high is the fact that since the Federal Government came out with the laws for background checks before all gun sales. More and more people are not legally able to purchase a new gun. That makes them hang on longer to what they have and not get rid of it the day after hunting season is over.

An average person can still buy a gun, face to face without a background check from a private individual.

Winchester never made all that many model 70's in the pre 64 version.

Remington made lot's of 721 - 722's which later became model 700's which were a better gun than the 721 - 722's
dick_tracy1953

Remington 700's better than Remington 721's or 722's...

Post by dick_tracy1953 »

I own Remington 722's chambered in 257 Roberts and in 300 Savage. My Remington 721's are chambered in 270 Winchester and in 30-06. As for my Remington 700's they are chambered in 7mm-08, and a Mountain in 308 Winchester. I sold an early Remington 700 that was chambered in 243 Winchester. They all seem to be great rifles, however, I like my 722's because they swing faster than any 700. My 700 Mountain is quick and handy, however, the barrel heats up quickly so three shot groups are her limit.

My rifle scopes are as follows: 3-9X Scopechief, 1.75-5X Burris, 3-9X Leupold Vari-X II, and a 2.5-8X Leupold Vari-X II. I love my Scopechief because of the magnetic post option which is great for snap shots.

My Remington 722 chambered in 257 Roberts is my champion spirit warrior.

Why are 700's on top in your book.