Born-again 721 Meets Mulie

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
71fan

Born-again 721 Meets Mulie

Post by 71fan »

I don't see alot of "action" posts on this site, so I hope this is OK. But I am pretty jazzed and wanted to share...

My dad's first bolt action deer rifle, bought in about 1960, was a Remington 721 in 264 Win Mag. He had it rebarreled (at the factory) in the mid-sixties due to a shot-out throat, and about the time he gave it to me (five years ago) the second barrel was pretty much trashed. The normal sub-minute groups had grown to about two inches with occasional key-holing. Also, after 35 +/- years of hunting, the stock was a bit rough.

Before the second barrel died, the rifle would shoot under 1/2-inch with 140 gr Nolser Partitions and H4831. The only modification my dad ever did was glass bed the action.

So I went full full steam ahead on a rebuild (with my dad's blessing). ER Shaw barreled the action with a 24" stainless fluted barrel, still in 264. With a bit of trimming and fitting, a McMillan Model 700 stock fit very nicely. The action was glass bedded and off to the range I went.

Winchester and Remington factory ammo (the only offerings) both group consistently at about 1-1/4. I worked up a 140 gr Nosler Partition load that will shoot 5/8", and it ended up being about 1 grain off from my dad's old load with the last barrel. So, I was slightly disappointed that a brand new barrel couldn't outshoot a barrel made in the sixties, but OTOH, the accuracy was plenty good for hunting.

So...this year was the first successful hunt with the new rifle: a nice wide mulie from Wyoming. A fitting re-birth for a GREAT rifle. My dad was quite pleased too, although he wasn't with me on this one.
Last edited by 71fan on Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-71fan-
Noel

Post by Noel »

Thanks for sharing 71 Fan! 8) I've been wondering where the field reports have been. I will be sure to share mine if I can. :P

Very nice Muley! Congrats.

Must be nice to pack heat on your hip like that. Wish we could up here!
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

So basically you spent a thousand dollars to fix up a $500 gun?

I'm not a fan of some of these new Remington Rifles, but I would have to say that you would have been better off to just spend the money and buy a whole new rifle and not just fix your old one.

If your handloads are within 1 grain of your dads old loads, hopefully that will extend your barrel life some.

I would think that it would take thousands and thousands of rounds to shoot the barrel out of one of them old guns. Not a couple of hundred.

After all, how many times a year are you going to shoot that gun? 10 - maybe 20?
71fan

Post by 71fan »

The Rifleman wrote:So basically you spent a thousand dollars to fix up a $500 gun?

I'm not a fan of some of these new Remington Rifles, but I would have to say that you would have been better off to just spend the money and buy a whole new rifle and not just fix your old one.

If your handloads are within 1 grain of your dads old loads, hopefully that will extend your barrel life some.

I would think that it would take thousands and thousands of rounds to shoot the barrel out of one of them old guns. Not a couple of hundred.

After all, how many times a year are you going to shoot that gun? 10 - maybe 20?
I'm surprised at your lack of understanding about the heart and soul of a firearm, the heritage, the nostalgia, and the sentimental value. Most importantly, how about the enjoyment and satisfaction of building your own unique rifle. Collectors and enthusiasts have very little use for the logic :wink:

Besides, spending a grand to build a custom rifle, that also happens to be a family heirloom is NOTHING these days. I happily sold off two perfenctly fine rifles to finance it. That rifle is priceless to me and mine.

What happened to my pictures?
-71fan-
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

71fan

Now hold on thre! I'm an RSA member and a collector. You comment about collectors is unfounded. If there is anyone who can understand the emotional ties people have to firearms, its a collector. If you look at Riflemans information you will see he is a hunter. This forum is open to the public and has almost 1500 members. The RSA has about 500 to 600 members. So you are going to get all kinds of opinions. I wish you luck with the family gun. I still use some of the old family guns I have and no one will ever buy them.

Loren RSA
Noel

Post by Noel »

71 Fan, did you check the website that is hosting your pics? Maybe their website failed. :?

For the nostalgia standpoint I can see the rebuild of an heirloom being satisfying. For a collector it might be heartbreaking to see a firearm reborn into something they aren't used to seeing. For a hunter, well, they might keep the old as is but put it in the closet and get a different gun or just use it within it's useful range. It's up to the individual owner to do with his peice as he sees best, as well as take the flak of others opinions I guess. :lol:

There is a Steven's favorite in my safe at home that has been in the family for over 100 years, somewhere along the lines someone put very ugly brown paint on the stocks. I can see lovely walnut underneath but I cannot bring myself to strip off what has been there for four generations.
Hopefully your fourth generation will look at your rifle the same. :wink:

Shot1too nailed it.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

I am very in tune with 71fan..

Let me tell you about my 280 Rem. It started years ago as a worn out 721 3006 made in 1953. The action was the only thing not ruined through the years. $150 dollars later it was mine. I had it squared and trued by Larry Brace who fit it with a match grade Donnely barrel. I totally stripped the trigger and smoothed it to what I think is better than a Jewel trigger. I fit a Remington 700 Classic stock, glassed and refinished by me. The painstaking woodwork at the safe area took a long time to fit around the 721 safe. For a total cost of about $900, and many hours work, I have a $500 gun at best. But it is also the best hunting rifle I ever had. I used to collect 721, 722, and 725s. Even had a 720 or two and a 30. Only have a few of them left.
CMP Pistol Distinguished
NRA Bullseye Outdoor Master
NRA Benefactor Life member
alpinecrick

Post by alpinecrick »

Nice buck--cool rifle.

I have some M721's/722's, and have some knowledge of their backgrounds--that makes them even more interesting.

Nothing wrong with updating a good 'ol bolt action Remmy.

Casey
71fan

Post by 71fan »

I finally fixed the pics...Hunt101 changed their format.

shot1too - I didn't mean to offend - my comment was mostly poking fun at myself. I am a collector of Winchesters (GASP) and have thrown logic to the wind for many purchases. If you always buy with your brain instead of your heart you will likely miss out on some great opportunities. That's what I meant with my "logic" comment.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
-71fan-
SuperTodd

Re: Born-again 721 Meets Mulie

Post by SuperTodd »

Nice mule deer, and glad to see another fan of the 264. I just recently purchased a special run rem 700 cdl in 264 win mag it has a 26" fluted blued barrel w/ target style muzzel crown. the wood is beautiful on the rifle. Just waiting on a leupold dual dovetail base to mount the scope(leupold vx2 4-12) I can't wait to shoot it. This is the first magnum I have owned. I have always hunted with a rem 760 in 35 whelen. Now that I have a flat shootin gun I need to start applying for Eastern Oregon tags-maybe this will be the year I draw an antelope tag.
71fan

Re: Born-again 721 Meets Mulie

Post by 71fan »

SuperTodd - I've been looking at those rifles with interest for a while - they are GREAT looking rifles, IMO. I hope yours shoots as good as it looks, but I'm sure it will.

The 264 is a great round for western hunting all the way to elk. My rifle (at least in it's old skin) has taken many elk, antelope, and mulies. Nowadays I prefer a larger caliber for elk but the 264 will do the job just fine if you do yours. I'm glad there is still new blood out there discovering this great round.
-71fan-