DOM: Model 12 - CS etc.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
1deu

DOM: Model 12 - CS etc.

Post by 1deu »

I have an old Model 12. Didn't pay very much for it. I thought it might be a good rifle to fiddle with, clean up, etc. But, I'm a bit puzzled. The octagon barrel is marked "Model 12-CS" on top... "22Rem Special" just a bit in from of the receiver. The bottom of the receiver shows "RW" and a number: 594140. The trigger housing is marked 59414. I figure the numbers match. I can find no month or ID number markings on the barrel. If memory serves, my understanding is that Remington didn't mark barrels until 1916-18. Is that correct? That and the rather high number is what's puzzling me. Could the barrel have been replaced, something like that. Everything looks right to me but... Many thanks for your time and attention. 8)
John Gyde

Re: DOM: Model 12 - CS etc.

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="1deu"]I have an old Model 12. Didn't pay very much for it. I thought it might be a good rifle to fiddle with, clean up, etc. But, I'm a bit puzzled. The octagon barrel is marked "Model 12-CS" on top... "22Rem Special" just a bit in from of the receiver. The bottom of the receiver shows "RW" and a number: 594140. The trigger housing is marked 59414. I figure the numbers match. I can find no month or ID number markings on the barrel. If memory serves, my understanding is that Remington didn't mark barrels until 1916-18. Is that correct? That and the rather high number is what's puzzling me. Could the barrel have been replaced, something like that. Everything looks right to me but... Many thanks for your time and attention. 8)[/quote]

Your rifle was made near 1923 so should have a date code on the barrel. Production dates are not exact since the Rem assemblers used parts from the wooden bins they were placed in. They simply grabbed the one closest or most convenient so the serial numbers did not track exactly with the date of assembly. . The RW stands for Remington Works (internal factory name) and is on all M/12s from the era yours was made.
1deu

Re: DOM: Model 12 - CS etc.

Post by 1deu »

John...
Many thanks for the input. I very much appreciate it. Thanks again. :D