Reforming Brass for 25 Rem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
CWarmouth

Reforming Brass for 25 Rem

Post by CWarmouth »

Hello All,
Well, my son and I have been shooting the heck out of our model 14s (25 and 35). He has yet to get his first deer but I have put down a few with both guns. We are down to under 45 rounds of 25 Rem brass now as cases have started to deteriorate after multiple reloads, etc. I know I can buy brass from any number of places but I think I am about ready to try reforming 30 Rem brass. I have never reformed brass and don't even know where to start. I know firsthand that M14s can be fickle about feeding ammo that isn't "just right" and as much as I'd love to see nambujim again, I don't really want to carry another jammed cartridge to him. Anybody have any advice on reforming 30 Rem brass for a 25. Or can anyone point me to a good general reforming resource (book or internet)?
umcpumpgun

Re: Reforming Brass for 25 Rem

Post by umcpumpgun »

I have formed a couple of hundred rounds of 25 Rem. from new and slightly used 30 Rem. brass with one pass through a 25 die. The best advice I can give is to use good lube,go light on the sholder area,and work slowly. Go with a little pressure,back off and go again on the leverage. You will need to trim after you resize as the mouth of the case is nearly always not square with the axis of the case.The best sizing lube is Imperial Sizing Die wax from large realoading suppliers. So far I have lost almost no cases. It isn't all that difficult if you use a little caution. I don't know how it might work with old brass as some of the really old stuff becomes brittle with age. Too much lube on the sholder will cause dents that won't iron out with firing and eventually split. I have yet to have any feeding problems in any of my guns.. Good luck
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Thank you. I am surprised that an intermediate die is not necessary. I'll give it a try though. Thanks for the tips. Also wondering if you anneal the case. If so, what is the proces you use?
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Carl!

Buffalo arms reforms new .30 Remington brass to perfection (also expands 30's to .32). I have used "a lot" of the reformed Buffalo brass without difficulty but know you like to "tinker" with stuff but in the long run it might be cheaper to buy what you need from Buffalo, its not cheap but it is first rate.

I have a supply of both Jamison and Quality Cartridge brass in .25 Remington and while I appreciate their efforts to supply our needs it is not very good. About half the QC brass splits with the first firing while some of the Jamison won't even fit in the shell holder. I actually had about 200 of the QC stuff and a 100 or so of the Jamison so it wasn't a matter of just firing or testing a few rounds. 17 of the first 40 OC brass split (tried it in three different rifles), it was so bad I now use the cases as "dummies" for testing the feed on rifles that I am working on.

Take care & behave!

Jim
Jim Peterson