Trying to date my Rem model 11 and ID markings.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Shotguns
CARemOwner

Trying to date my Rem model 11 and ID markings.

Post by CARemOwner »

I have a Remington model 11 12 ga. which I believe to be made in 1945 based on the B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X date system because the barrel is stamped "PP". However there does not appear to be a corresponding month. I'm at a loss. The serial number is 7254XX and the full barrel stamp is "PPU". I've checked and the barrel serial number matches the one on the receiver.

Thanks for any insight.
CARemOwner
remroc

Re: Trying to date my Rem model 11 and ID markings.

Post by remroc »

The serial number would indicate 1945 also. Look at that "U" very carefully. Or maybe someone at the factory just made a mistake.
fielduk

Post by fielduk »

Hi I also have a Model 11 serial number 1551 can anyone please date it for me I have had it off my great grandad here in the UK
Chris
Researcher

Post by Researcher »

Serial number 1551 would be a first year, 1905, Remington Autoloading Shotgun, the forerunner to the Model 11.

Remington Arms Co. introduced the John M. Browning designed Remington Autoloading Shotgun in 1905, these pages from the 1906 Remington Arms Co. catalogue --

In 1911, Marcellus Hartley Dodge combined his firearms company and his ammunition company, and the new combined company was Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. Shortly thereafter they began calling their John M. Browning designed autoloading shotgun the Model No. 11. From the Remington Arms - Union Metallic Cartridge Co. 1913-14 catalogue --

fielduk

Post by fielduk »

That is very useful thank you very much indeed

Christian