New 25 Rem has arrived, pics too!

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Noel

New 25 Rem has arrived, pics too!

Post by Noel »

Well I am a very happy camper and nothing has wiped the smile from my face since Tuesday when I found another Model 14 in 25 Remington. Since there is a small gathering here I won't post the pic of my Great Uncle from 1945 but just stick with the up to date pics.

The first rifle I got in late 07 has a very bad bore and the wood has the usual dry out cracks and wood putty added. :( I was very disappointed with it and then I tried loading it. :| It refused to feed! Little did I know the cartridge stop is missing from the feeding mechanism, this allowed the next cartridge in line to slide back and hold the nose of the cartridge being cycled up and you end up with a guarranteed jam every single time. Date of birth is 1912 IIRC.

The new rifle however boy it feeds like greased lightening. 8) Hooray! :P The Gent I bought it from is in his late 60's, it was his Grandfather's firearm, brought up from Wichita, Kansas. Now he said Grampa came up here in 1908 but that doesn't add up as the rifle was not available then to my knowledge and the serial number also reflects a 1913 (late) production. I guess it could have been bought in Canada, one of the boxes of ammuntion came with the rifle too which was a real bonus for me. The seller had never fired this rifle which baffles me. How can you not want to shoot such a little gem.

Screw heads are clean, no cracks in the wood anywhere :o 8) bore is minty and it has no accomadations for a tang sight, same as the clunker.
You will notice a difference in the brass stamp ID's, the older one just has UMC across the top, the next one has REM-UMC. Kind of neat to see different stamps. I only wish the catridges I got had the U stamped primers, you can't win them all I guess. On the back of the box it mentions due to lack of sufficient demand, CIL (Canadian Industries Limited) has chosen to import the cartridges for their consumers instead of make them themselves. Never saw such a sticker before. 8) Here are some pics to satisfy your thirst.

Here are the roll marks of each rifle, first the 1912, has a stamp mark in front of the "Remington":
And the 1913:

Left 1912, right 1913:
ImageImage

I got to test fire them and suprisingly enough both shoot very well considering I was shooting off one knee. At 20 yards I got a 1/2" three shot group in the 1912 and a 1" group with the 1913 rifle. Both were nice triangular patterns so they will be easy to tune.

A big thanks to Dave and Tom for their big help as well as the rest of you here. This has meant a great deal to get a 25 in the safe. Thank you all!

Best regards,
Noel
m0ondoggy

Re: New 25 Rem has arrived, pics too!

Post by m0ondoggy »

Beautiful!
If it goes bang, I like it.
Noel

Re: New 25 Rem has arrived, pics too!

Post by Noel »

Thanks moondoggy! 8)
When I get better accustomed to this new camera hopefully I can show you better.
I tried to take some at the homestead blasksmith shop but the glare on the snow was too much. Maybe the barn next time.... :wink:

This is going to make Mule Deer hunting alot more exciting this fall.